• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Alternative to WDTV Live

ivrytwr3

Established Member
I currently have a WDTV Live Hub with an external HDD connected.

I rip movies from BluRay etc to PC and then copy the movie files to my WD box via homeplug connection (PC > homeplug > WD box) i then play the movies from the WD box to my TV.

However, as the WD box is getting old now, i am looking for a replacement that is as simple to use (wife and kids have to use it) and something that supports 4K.

Any suggestions please?

next010

Distinguished Member
I currently have a WDTV Live Hub with an external HDD connected.

I rip movies from BluRay etc to PC and then copy the movie files to my WD box via homeplug connection (PC > homeplug > WD box) i then play the movies from the WD box to my TV.

However, as the WD box is getting old now, i am looking for a replacement that is as simple to use (wife and kids have to use it) and something that supports 4K.

Any suggestions please?

* Nvidia Shield which has USB ports and can share USB HDD out, use Kodi or Plex as media front end (shield can run Plex server and client on same device)

* Zappiti which are still around, akin to the WD Hub/popcornhours just with newer 4K hardware.

* OSMC Vero which is a linux/kodi commercial box, can share out USB HDD.

There are a whole bunch of generic Chinese Android boxes with HDD support but the above are the quality options.

ivrytwr3

Established Member
I was looking at the Shield, but it seems to be holding it's price and has gone up since initial release!

With the Shield, does it give the movie cover display ie can you rotate through your movies like the WD box?

next010

Distinguished Member
I was looking at the Shield, but it seems to be holding it's price and has gone up since initial release!

With the Shield, does it give the movie cover display ie can you rotate through your movies like the WD box?

Thats what Kodi or Plex are for, they are the media players running on the box. Both of those have movie cover art based media libraries.

With Plex you install the Plex media server first, then set it up with a movie, tv section telling it to monitor certain folders, it will then scan those folders and auto download the cover art.

Then you install the Plex client and it will connect to the server and display all the movie artwork, any Plex client on any other device like phone or PC can connect to the sever running on the Shield.

Here is a decent beginners guide to Plex server on the Shield.

With Kodi you basically just add a media source, it will ask do you want to set a content type, say movies, it will auto scan folders and build coverart library movies section on the home screen which is separate from video->files.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Once you have either of them up and running Plex or Kodi will make your WDTV look like a relic.

Kodi (or Plex) will give you posters, fanart and synopsis. They're able to display the movie posters in multiple different ways using the same skin or change the skin and have more options.
It can display by date added, runtime, IMDB rating, year etc.

Download it for your PC and have a play with it, by doing that once you get a new media player you'll already be familiar with it as it does take a bit of learning to get everything set up.
Watch a few youtube vids as well.

KuroMike

Established Member
I have spotted this old thread and hoping it my help me.

I have a WDTV live media box which I use to play films through MKV files, with DTS and Dolby Digital sound. I’ve used an external hard drive plugged in through USB in to the WDTV and then out through HDMI into my Pioneer KRP600.

Are there any alternatives to the Western Digital media player as I would like to see how they fair up? It must play MKV’s and support the various sound formats (DTS, DD etc)

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
Mike.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
There are plenty of options, but they're quite a bit more complicated than your old WDTV.

There's advice in the posts above yours. It's still true.

Nvidia Shield TV, AppleTV 4K, Vero4K, Zappitti, Dune, thousands (literally) of cheap Android boxes (I wouldn't necessarily recommend this option)

However, unlike your WDTV, which is a plug and play device, all the modern option have media jukeboxes that display posters, synopsis, ratings etc and need to be "loaded" with the files named properly. As above, there are plenty of guides out there for these, Wiki pages etc.

KuroMike

Established Member
Sloppy Bob / anyone

Would a Dune 175l be a good replacement for my WDTV live? I am after something as simple to use as possible. Anyone had one of these and can they comment on how they play back 1080p material?

As long as it plays MKV’s without issue and supports the DTS and Dolby Digital formats - which it appears to do - i’ll be happy! 🙂

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I have no experience of Dune devices, they seem highly rated by their owners but are a bit out of date compared to newer devices.

Personally I think the Vero4K is an excellent device with great support, it just takes a little learning how to get it all setup and there;s plenty of help for that on youtube, the wiki and here.

KuroMike

Established Member
I’ve had years of use out of my WDTV and so all of these new devices are new to me!

Thanks for the advice 👍🏻

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
A lot of these devices use a media jukebox called Kodi, it's a free piece of software that works on multiple platforms, Windows, Android, Linux etc.

This is what the Vero4K, the Nvidia Shield, etc use.

On all of them, it essentially works the same.

You can download it for your PC, Mac, etc, watch some youtube vids, read the wiki, and get an idea how it works for you before you even think about buying a streamer.

Note, IMO, the default skin for Kodi is ugly and doesn't do much for it. Skins can be changed easily and give a myriad of different options for viewing your library content so don't get too hung up on how it looks. For a nice clean simple skin that works well I like Amber.
I know this is probably gobbledygook to you, that's why you should maybe download it and have a play...

KuroMike

Established Member
Thanks Sloppy Bob

I presume I could buy a Vero4K, plug in my external hard drive and just hook it up to my amp through HDMI to play through my Kuro? I don’t have to hook up to any computers to download stuff first?

Sorry if this sounds obvious 👍🏻

dion 6

Prominent Member
Thanks Sloppy Bob

I presume I could buy a Vero4K, plug in my external hard drive and just hook it up to my amp through HDMI to play through my Kuro? I don’t have to hook up to any computers to download stuff first?

Sorry if this sounds obvious 👍🏻
No you don't need a computer just hook it up as you said I've been using mine for over 2 years now with 2 HDDs connected its a great little player. I've had a WDTV and a popcorn hour A300 but the vero is much better

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom