Question Alternative to Virgin Tivo: (Smart TV + HDD) or (TV + PVR)?

ChrisParker1985

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at options for buying a new 48-50 inch 4K TV, and at the same time I am keen to escape from my Virgin Media contract as we are overpaying relative to the content we actually use. However, we really like the ability of our Virgin Tivo box to record live TV so that we can watch it back later. This enables us to always have TV shows available that we want to watch, whenever we want to watch them, and with the ability to skip through any ad breaks. We like how easy the Tivo box makes this in terms of:
- Series links
- Being able to record and watch multiple programs at the same time

Based on a bit of research it seems I have two options:
1. Buy a TV that has the option to record to a hard drive that I plug into it.
2. Buy a TV and a FreeView / YouView recorder.

In terms of minimising the cost and the number of bits of electronic kit / remotes I have to deal with option 1 is more attractive. However:
- I am wary that the interface for accessing recordings might not be as user friendly as that we are used to with our Tivo box - some YouTube videos showing how to record onto an HDD from a TV support this worry. But are there any TVs that incorporate a user friendly interface for recording TV shows onto a HDD?
- I am also wary that most TVs only have a single tuner so that we would only be able to play/watch one show at a time. Are there an exceptions to this?

If I have to go with option 2 am I correct in assuming that I wouldn't use the TVs built in interface / EPG as I would just get the screen to display the input from the FreeView Recorder? This is what we currently do with our Tivo box.

Finally, any specific model recommendations would be appreciated. So far this TV is at the top of my list: Panasonic TX-50CX680 review | TV reviews

All advice appreciated,

Chris

Option 2 with a Harmony. Wins hands down over the three different TVs that I have seen with record facilities. (They are dire compared with a dedicated PVR)
Use the record facility of the TV just for time slip when you go for a fag during the ads, and it takes too long ;=)
I use my TV for normal watching (with an HDD for timeslip) and its EPG and my Humax FoxT2 to do all my recordings on. I don't use the TV for recording, so I can record two and watch another (could possibly record three because my Samsung has two BVB-T2 tuners. But if I record on my TV, it rather limits what else I can do on the TV)

So for full flexibility, your option 2 is the only choice really.
When you want to set or watch a recording, just swap inputs on the TV. My Mrs. has technophobia, so I leave her with the bog standard TV and its control.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom