alternative to vd blue?

huwg

Good evening,

I'm moving my hi-fi to another room and am now in need of new speaker cables.
I'll need about 2x8m lengths, so cannot afford much over £3/m unless it is absolutely stunning. This probably also rules out bi-wiring.

I currently bi-wire using old Cable talk 3, but that will have to go as it is far too chunky (especially in double runs) and too short a length.

I'm thinking of van-damme 2x2.5 blue in single runs, is there an alternative worth looking at?

I'd like to bi-wire if possible, but it must be relatively thin and a bi-wire cable.

kit :-
Audiolab 8000S
MA Bronze B2
Marantz cd63 KIS

The room is small, 2.5m x 2.5 m, but due to the enforced kit position, the 8m runs cannot be avoided

Cheers

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
What about CAT 5?
Meets your budget and supposed to be very good :smashin:

huwg

Badger0-0 said:
What about CAT 5?
Meets your budget and supposed to be very good :smashin:
Thanks for the reply,
I've thought about that, but what is it like as a single cable as opposed to 3 lots braided (as per several threads)?

I've just noticed the comedy value of the thread title :rolleyes:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
huwg said:
Thanks for the reply,
I've thought about that, but what is it like as a single cable as opposed to 3 lots braided (as per several threads)?

I've just noticed the comedy value of the thread title :rolleyes:
I really couldn't tell you, I've never tried it.
I was just thinking about the budget.
I didn't realise you had to use 3 lots.
Oh well.
I'm going to have a read about it myself now.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello huwg

The VanDamme Black Series 4x2.5mm is every bit as good value as the Blue Series 2x2.5mm - the Black Series is slightly less 'flexible' than the Blue Series due to the slightly sturdier outer jacket.

SRP on the 4x2.5mm is £2.89/m (ex postage).

Best regards

Joe

PS Keep an eye on the AVForums Cables PowerBuy list - there should be a couple of New additions this weekend :)

huwg

Joe Fernand said:
Hello huwg

The VanDamme Black Series 4x2.5mm is every bit as good value as the Blue Series 2x2.5mm - the Black Series is slightly less 'flexible' than the Blue Series due to the slightly sturdier outer jacket.

SRP on the 4x2.5mm is £2.89/m (ex postage).

Best regards

Joe

PS Keep an eye on the AVForums Cables PowerBuy list - there should be a couple of New additions this weekend :)
:smashin:

huwg

swmbo has requested 'invisible' cables, so the floorboards will be coming up!
This means thicker cables are now an option, but they must have some flex.
VD black 4x4mm worth a shot?

I'm looking forward to the 'power buy' deal ;)