1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to Tosh32ZP48?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by yipyipboo, Aug 12, 2005.

1. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just got a Toshiba 32ZP48P after reading positive reviews on t'internet. I was aware of the geometry problems and sod's law my tv has a wonky picture. I have had a replacement which was the same and apparently there is no way to adjust it (not even in a service menu - which i find strange).

Really gutted as the TV is great but i cannot live with it. I can get refund but my real question is.....

what alternatives are available to the Tosh :confused: I have a budget of £600 and would appreciate any other member comments. :thumbsup:

2. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I about to buy one of these Tosh Sets (when I decide 32" or 36") Should I be worried about this fault people seem to be getting...

3. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was really hoping it wasn't going to be a problem but i guess i was unlucky. I can't understand why Toshiba don't provide a means to correct this on the 32" version. :thumbsdow

The 36" version has a geometry adjustment in the settings.

I guess i need to find an alternative now as the 36" would be too big for my room.

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    This is one of several problems with the Tosh, to basic user menu and non pure white tones. It's fine if you get a cracker that's tolerant within the specification but uncorrectable if it lies out of spec. This *simple* arrangement may be what you have to pay for to achieve a first class TV (though I doubt it).

My personal alternative is a Panasonic 32PD50. It does not have quite the liquid polish sheen the Tosh has but it makes up for this in other means like sharpness and *cooler* more natural colours.

An alternative to this is a Philips Pixel plus2 Cineo which gives greater back to front depth and excellent colour rendition. However the Pixel plus system has it's drawbacks which I'm afraid for me doesn't quite cut it with detail on peoples faces looking rather plasticky and unreal for me... but of course your view of it may differ. Also lacks a component i/p.

5. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What other features would I be missing if I got the 32" over the 36"??

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I think you'll find the 32" version does have all the same geometry controls as the 36" version - what is does not have is the ability to rotate the picture. Toshiba in their wisdom decided that the 32" version did not need this adjustment. The Toshiba is quite capable of giving 'pure white tones' so I don't understand this comment. There have been previous comments concerning the 'warm' nature of the pictures - but this is not a fault and I have commentated on this aspect of CRT production in a previous thread. Most of the comments I read here concerning the 32" Toshiba seem almost invariably to relate to picture rotation problems caused as we all now accept by the earth's natural magnetic field - perhaps Toshiba might have been better 'advised' to have engineered this adjustment on the 32" version (at extra cost of course) but all water under the bridge now. I'm always saddened by the few comments I read here with disatisfaction of the 32" model - as 'per-sony-fied' has already commented 'it's a cracker of a set' or should be. Regards, yt.

7. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Both the Tosh and the Panny are excellent sets IF YOU GET A GOOD ONE.

The answer is to buy from a dealer who will let you keep swapping until you are satisfied.

This may mean you don't get the rock bottom price, but it's worth it overall.

Good luck. :)

8. Peritas

Peritas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

It's just a worry that I want to really buy this telly, and I think the 36" is just o big for my room (8x15 foot but will need to go into a corner) but I keep reading problems. I know with my luck I would get a duffer.

9. Jet_Set_Jim

Jet_Set_Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I bought a 32ZP48 about a month ago and I'd also recommend it. Perhaps I've been lucky - no geomagnetic slant, and the minor geometry issues were corrected quickly via the service menu.

The picture and connectivity are first class, and the surround sound is great as well; whilst it might not be up to the technical standards of a separate surround system, it's pretty good and a definite boon if (like me) you'd otherwise make do without. Now that I'm used to DD surround, I'd not do without it!

Also, don't underestimate the Picture Frame element - anyone with a partner or wife living with them will be subject to a maximum limit on TV size, and the Tosh PF3 design lets you get a few extra inches of screen for the same TV size!

10. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have had two, both the same geometry problem. If i got the supplier to provide another one is there a chance i could get one that is okay or would they all suffer the same problem in the same part of my room??

Other than this problem the tv is cracking, such a vast improvement from my 8yr old JVC 21" 4:3.

11. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    my geometry was a bit dodgy but i sorted it out in service menu i made sure i wrote down the orginal values before altering

12. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can I do this on the 32"?? :confused:

13. Jet_Set_Jim

Jet_Set_Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You can make most geometric adjustments via the service menu, but you can't correct screen slant.

14. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Any chance you can let me have details :lease:

15. Jet_Set_Jim

Jet_Set_Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You can correct certain geometry problems, such as the screen shearing (slanting left or right), or bowing inwards/outwards.

The following link is for the 36incher but it works for the 32incher as well - it gives you all the options for correction:

http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/tvtools.htm

As it notes - be very careful with the service menu - only alter the geometry settings, and make sure you take a note first of the original settings.

Good luck!

16. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Do the Panasonic TX32PD50 or Samsumg WS32Z308P suffer from geometry problems and if so can they be corrected?

17. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    In general there is not a TV set out there that suffers in some way from geometry problems. Perfection in this respect is very hard to achieve. I'm sure there will be very good examples and a few that slip the net as bad examples.

FWIW my Panny seems pretty good on the geometry front but I can see that it is not perfect and I suspect if I fiddle for a while I could make it better.
    I have not yet dabbled inside the Service menu, I've been concentrating on other aspects of the set since I've had it and right now I've just come across a much more serious fault that worries me.

18. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry to hear that :(

I have sinced moved my TV to another part of my room and though not perfect the problem is definately much less noticable.

19. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the Service Menu and Vertical Geometry settings, I presume you can alter the values real time by using the left/right buttons to see the desired effect on the testcard?
    These values appear to be Hexadecimal format. Doesnt really matter I guess.
    Though it does worry me that everything is now examined to the nth degree nowadays. Forever aiming toward a perfect situation. From what I read the default settings are generally within factory default tolerances and that somehow leads us on a quest for perfection :(
    Its similar to being told you have a spot on your nose. The longer you look at it, the bigger and uglier it gets.
    I suggest just turn on the tv and watch the damn thing! And think, "This tv`s great" in your head 10 times.