Alternative to Theatertek?

jckm2000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi PPL,
Anyone know of a DVD player that can utilise Fddshow post processing other than Theatertek ( I just don't like Theaterteks OSD) ???

Cheers,

Jon.

Thanks for that but....
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH you need a degree to work out how to get it to work!

lol.....

Jon.

Although people here denied the possibility before, I got Powerdvd 6.0 Professional running here and am absolutely 100% sure it activates fddshow somehow. I get the fddshow OSD and I can see whatever changes I make in fddshow showing clearly during playback. However, that only was the case for .avi files if I remember well, not for DVD's. Might be mistaken though, haven't checked any more really.

JorisS said:
However, that only was the case for .avi files if I remember well, not for DVD's. .

ffdshow will work with avi files in any program. Only certain programs call on it for DVD use though.

Zoom Player isn't that complicated to get running, you just need to chose the relevant software you want the program to use in the DVD settings menu.

After having all kinds of problems with TheaterTek... I switched over to Media Player Classic. Which at first was absolutely crap at upscaling DVD's and playing Hi Def stuff (jerky playback, stuttering, interlace problems) but after playing about with it for quite a while, I managed to get it working perfectly with everything I throw at it. I installed the matroska full pack to start with, then went into Media Player Classics settings and set all the video rendering to system default.... now the good thing about MPC is that you can go into it's overrides section and add your own filters, which you can then set to prefer or block... so you can specify exactly what codecs to use and not to use. So I added the ffdshow filters and told it to prefer those and voila.... everything runs perfectly! Even x264 stuff, but for that I had to also install the haali splitter, some other x264 codec and also disable ffdshows own x264 handling, as the plaback was choppy and 100% cpu usage.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom