1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to the PW6 / Pioner AV AMP combo?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Papillon, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Papillon

Papillon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie Alert! :hiya:

I am about to update all my front room AV so I've spent quite a few hours reading the posts on this forum as it is by far the best resource on the net for this sort of stuff. I have Sky+ coming in a week, Xbox (running the excellent XB Media Centre) with RGB Scart connection but want to replace the CRT TV, Pro Logic Amp/Speakers and dead DVD player.

Hornydragon's excellent recommendations of PW6/7 and the Pioneer AV Amp are now top of my list BUT I am having a dilema as I had previously fallen for the Denon DHT-500 DVD/AMP/Speaker combo (not the new SD one). Has anyone tried this? It has Progressive Component outputs which should be good. So my alternative to the Pioneer AV Amp route would be:

Panasonic PW6 with Component RCA board for the Denon to connect to.
    JS Master Scart Controller linked to the JS RGB to Plasma Screen VGA for the Sky+ and Xbox.
    I have an old Video player that I still need to connect (for the kids videos :blush: ) but not sure where this will connect :confused:

This seems like a reasonable solution but would appreciate expert opinions as this was all double dutch to me a few hours ago.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pioneer amp? Where did that come from? If Horny meant the 402, then no scart switch is needed, the amp is a scart switch, but the VCR won't work with the JS box, it's composite only. The easier solution for this lot is as usual a bit more expensive, and BTW I'd get well clear of that denon for this application. You need a video upconverting apm as the easiest way to connect anything you throw at it down 1 cable, and no video boards required, which saves some money, so maybe swings and roundabouts. You need a hi def pack for the x-box, £25 ish, a JS COMPONENT converter for sky and a Yamaha DSP750 amp which AFAIK is the cheapest video upconverting amp around. A Yamaha DVD will work off the same remote, and as long as playing CD music is not high on your list will be fine (they're not convincing with CD) This lot will be £700 with some cables, just speakers and the screen and you are away.

3. Papillon

Papillon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW thanks for the speedy reply.......now the diodes down my left side are starting to hurt! I can see why other newbie's have said they feel like their brains have been scrambled.

Yes I meant the Pioneer VSX-C402-S.

Didn't know about the hi def kit for the Xbox - one Google later - looks cool.

So you are saying I should convert everything to Component connections then through the Yamaha DSP-AX750 to the Panny Component Video board?

I'm not clear on how the Video player fits in with this (sorry if I'm being dense).

4. Papillon

Papillon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looking into the hi def kit for the Xbox - seems the HD function is disabled on the PAL versions!?

5. Shahel

Shahel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got my xbox running in HD on my pwd6 as you have media center i assume your xbox is modded all you have to do is use the pal>ntsc switcher and then you can run in HD and all your pal games will still run fine

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    pio 402 is a budget solution as it allows 5.1 to be added to a panel for £400 ish.... £130 JS box and cables whole lot with a PW6 £2200 or PW7 £2500ish if you have more cash to play with then there are lots of other options... but as £2k is most peoples price limit it fits very nicely........

7. Shahel

Shahel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a 2k price limit now iv spent more then 4k but it all turned out god at the end so im still happy :D

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The yam 750 will convert all to component, you plug any component sources in as component, any s-video or composite source comes out of the component monitor connection too. You connect this to the VGA port of the screen with a 3 phono to 15pin lead, tell it 'component' in the setup menu, and plug as many s-video/composite sources as the amp has sockets. and BTW it's sooooo simple to setup, you plug the mike they give you into it'ssocket, press auto setup and go and have a cup of tea. When you have drunk it you put on a movie....

9. Ivon

Ivon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW...what about the Yam 650 ??...would that make the cut with respect to Video up-converting.

And what do you need to look out for in an amp to make sure it can upconvert ?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, the 650 doesn't have it AFAIK, Onkyo 810, denon 2805 (still waiting to actually see one of these, but it definitely will) Denon 3805, to name a few more. It's in the spec sheet as 'component video up-conversion.

11. Papillon

Papillon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Shahel - I'll give it a go. :thumbsup:

12. Papillon

Papillon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the input. I'll spend some time looking at these options. Horny's original setup is still quite appealing as it does fit the budget quite nicely.

Is the general opinion that there is not a noticeable PQ difference between using the VGA via JS converter (as per the Pioneer 402) or the component (as per the Yam 750)?

And us for video up converting?? I need to read more........

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The 402 is certainly a good budget option, but you still need a mthod of connecting the VCR, and of course anything else that you might aquire that is not RGB, and you might like to add 'progressive scan' to your research list. I use the 403 in budget installs, but usually with either a DVD recorder, or Sky+ or Freeview PVR in the system, ie no vcr provision at all.

14. Papillon

Papillon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish there was an easy way of digitizing a very large collection of Disney and other VHS Videos (without resorting to buying them all again on DVD) so I could loose the VCR.

I think I am up on progressive scan as that is why I was attracted to the Denon DHT-500SD as it does the 5.1 and DVD Progressive scan in one very sexy package.