Alternative to stream to Sonos speakers

CapDream

Novice Member
Hi I’ve been searching and searching for a salutation to connect my tv or Xbox to my Sonos speakers. I looked at what Sonos had to offer but it is way too expensive. I looking for a device that can take audio in and stream it out to the Sonos speakers. To add I have the ikea symfonisk speakers. I have seen audio streamers but I’m not clear enough to know if they connect to the speakers. Thanks

jamieu

Hi I’ve been searching and searching for a salutation to connect my tv or Xbox to my Sonos speakers. I looked at what Sonos had to offer but it is way too expensive. I looking for a device that can take audio in and stream it out to the Sonos speakers. To add I have the ikea symfonisk speakers. I have seen audio streamers but I’m not clear enough to know if they connect to the speakers. Thanks
If I am understanding correctly, you need something to act as a bridge ie. take the Xbox and TV outputs as inputs and then stream the audio out to Sonos?

The easiest way would probably be to add a used Sonos Connect to your setup, as that would add an analog input to your Sonos ecosystem and allow you to control it natively within the Sonos app.

You'd probably have to plug the Xbox into the TV and then use the analog output of the TV as the Sonos only has one analog input. Not sure how much delay would be introduced and whether you can adjust the audio sync/delay on the Xbox.

---

This Xbox plugin might also be worth investigating. But can't tell if it's just a controller or actually allows the Xbox audio to be played back via your Sonos speakers. So do report back if you try it and it works as it may prove useful to others.

---

Another route would be to use Logitech Media Server to act as a bridge, with the WaveInput plugin handling the input (from your TV) and the UPnP-DLNA plugin handling playback to your Sonos speakers.

You could try it out first on a PC to see if you can get it to work, the plugins can both be enabled under the system->plugins menu, so no need for command line installation/configuration. You may also want to enable the Material Skin plugin while you're there too. If you got it all working you could install a similar setup on a Raspberry Pi which you could leave running 24/7 and hide out of the way. This route will almost certainly introduce a level of delay, so definitely try it out first on a Mac/PC before buying any new hardware.

Last edited:

CapDream

Novice Member
If I am understanding correctly, you need something to act as a bridge ie. take the Xbox and TV outputs as inputs and then stream the audio out to Sonos?

The easiest way would probably be to add a used Sonos Connect to your setup, as that would add an analog input to your Sonos ecosystem and allow you to control it natively within the Sonos app.

You'd probably have to plug the Xbox into the TV and then use the analog output of the TV as the Sonos only has one analog input. Not sure how much delay would be introduced and whether you can adjust the audio sync/delay on the Xbox.

---

This Xbox plugin might also be worth investigating. But can't tell if it's just a controller or actually allows the Xbox audio to be played back via your Sonos speakers. So do report back if you try it and it works as it may prove useful to others.

---

Another route would be to use Logitech Media Server to act as a bridge, with the WaveInput plugin handling the input (from your TV) and the UPnP-DLNA plugin handling playback to your Sonos speakers.

You could try it out first on a PC to see if you can get it to work, the plugins can both be enabled under the system->plugins menu, so no need for command line installation/configuration. You may also want to enable the Material Skin plugin while you're there too. If you got it all working you could install a similar setup on a Raspberry Pi which you could leave running 24/7 and hide out of the way. This route will almost certainly introduce a level of delay, so definitely try it out first on a Mac/PC before buying any new hardware.
Thank you for replying yeah I tried the connect that I brought from eBay but it wasn’t functional because it is obsolete and I am afraid to try buying another one. I was wondering if there’s any other product out there that would do the same thing without it being too expensive. But thank you I’ll look into your second advice this sounds promising, I really do appreciate the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?
Top Bottom