alternative to standard head unit

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by warhonowicz, Feb 6, 2009.

1. warhonowicz

warhonowicz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I ever listen to in my car (the weekend toy that is, not the daily driver) is music from either my iPod or a USB stick. I have just bought a new (old) one and it could really do with not having a head unit anywhere visible. As it is an old Mini, there is little space to hide one.

Does anyone know of another solution, that I can install out of sight (though I want to control the volume and on/off from the drivers seat) and that gives me the ability to play mp3 files?

I seem to remember seeing something like a cross between a normal head unit and a harddrive a couple of years ago but can't seem to find it anywhere.

2. V_J

V_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dunno how good the device is, but the Pioneer Avic F700BT is essentially a portable navigation with a docking station and an amplifier....
    You could use the navigation more as an MP3 player...

Most likely it will become too complicated and expensive, but Alpine has the vehiclehub...

3. JimiAces

JimiAces

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I have the Pioneer DEH-p85BT which supports the ipod, i installed ot so that the ipod lead comes out of the back of the head unit and into the glovebox ( depending on your car you should be able to do this) the ipod is then controlable from the head unit and works rather well being able to cylce through albums/artists/playlists etc ( although not quite as intuitive as the ipod itself)

this was about £250 last year, possibly cheaper now but also has the advantage of bluetooth calling and you can also bluetooth music to the head unit depending on your phone - works well on my k850i but i prefer using my ipod.

on the other end of the scale my mate has just bought a cheap wharefdale stereo from argos (£50) which comes with ipod lead. doesn't seem half as easy to control but at that price i'm sure it would suit.