• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Alternative to Slingbox?

dpetteng

Novice Member
So, in my main home I have full SkyQ subscription but I have bought a second home and looked into options for sky there but no surprise, Sky do not give any discount for second homes.

So, I was thinking of taking my sky box between homes but that is not practical and I would need another dish setup.

I have looked into using SkyGo and casting it to my TV but that doesn't work from a tablet either.

So, I then looked at Slingboxes but it seems they are no longer supported.

Is there a much better Slingbox alternative so I can stream my main home content to my second home?

Looking for ideas?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
What is the problem with a dish install you have?
I do that regularly, along with many other caravan and motor home users.
My dish sits on the ground using an old photographic tripod.

Not that I use $ky, but the satellite is the same!

Much less than the cost of a Slingbox style system even if you get the dish professionally installed. :)
Only thing to check is whether you need a Q wideband or standard LNB.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I know :censored: . That's why I use a Freeview PVR in my caravan unless I know reception is tricky. (I can also copy and take recorded programmes with me. $ky's encryption stops such antics for you.)

You can get 'quick connect' F-connectors to make that a bit easier? F connector : "Quick" adapter - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials is an example.

There's a 'hack' for using $ky Go onto TV screens somewhere on the interweb - use the forum search, if google fails ? (other search engines are available)

Mane UK

I have a Sky Go device with an hdmi out which works very well hooked up to a screen.

SkyGo is available through playstation4, those are getting surprisingly cheap with ps5 expected out this year.

There are alternatives to slingbox, but they are rather fiddly and outdated when you can stream or download the same things directly in less time or with a worse connection.
(I have a smart TV with a "built in server", so it can feed whatever it is displaying to another screen - coupled with app control it is full view-party mode, but far from the best, easiest, or most practical solution to watching TV remotely)

Mane UK

You do not need a playstation+ subscription for sky go on playstation.

You add your SkyID to it and get whatever channels your sky package allows, no additional subscription required.

D

Deleted member 433786

You do not need a playstation+ subscription for sky go on playstation.

You add your SkyID to it and get whatever channels your sky package allows, no additional subscription required.

Sky go extra is required for Xbox and PlayStation access, used to be £5 per month. But if you already have this then yes there is no additional cost

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Sky Go extra as good as it is is still no match for a Slingbox.
Imagine having access to your Sky planner (or Virgin Media/Freeview/Freesat PVR) and being able to watch it at any time on a mobile, tablet or laptop/PC anywhere you have internet access and no VPN needed.
I used mine year after year on holiday in the US in a hotel room and my wife was able to watch her soaps from our Sky+HD box planner at home.
Even feeding it Composite video from the Sky box the picture on my wife's MacBook Air or iPad is excellent.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Place shifting - we have used Sling with a few corporate clients (Edinburgh <> US) and it was rock solid, if you require that functionality I would try tracking a system down S/H or bite the bullet and install SKY at the second home (if taking your SKY box with you is not an option) as anything else has too many limitations.

Joe

GaryB1

Novice Member
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and looking for an alternative to the Slingbox when Nov 2021 comes around.

My current setup:
I live in the UK but my Slingbox is located in my Brothers house in the US. This allows me to take over one of his tv's so I can watch Philly sports. I can do this now either on my TV, computer or cell phone.

Is there anything out there that will let me achieve the same?

Fred Smith

Interesting but the first component the URayCoder HEVC H.265 MPEG4 appears to be unavailable.

Fred Smith

Well both 1 -port devices are also showing unavailable.

Fred Smith

The links work but the products are unavailable.

As this is a UK website yes I am in the UK.

Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Available from Amazon UK:

Amazon product

Amazon product

"If you happen to still be using a Slingbox, it will become inoperable two years from now, on Nov. 9, 2022."

So plenty of time yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom