• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Alternative to playusa.com

deadlypixie

Standard Member
Play have not been so great recently, so what other sites do people use that offer little or no postage and have relatively good deals?

CJPowers81

Play have not been so great recently, so what other sites do people use that offer little or no postage and have relatively good deals?

Quite pricey but very good service, Movietyme or Axelmusic are about the best. Axelmusic charge nearly £2 for postage though, so MT is the better option.

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Received My Name Is Earl from PlayUSA today with a chuffing £11.74 customs charge on it. It clearly states on the label it was posted from Germany !! so why the charge ??

cassius76

Both Play USA and Play UK have always been fine for me.. touch wood (I have 3 blu rays on their way!)

What woes have you been having with them?

P

Paver

I've always had good service from Play UK/USA.

I used Movietyme lots in the past but they're too expensive for me these days.

I realise they have profit margins but it would be interesting if they price matched Play USA for a week or two to see if sales increased significantly.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I've never had any problems with play and haven' used PlayUSA for ages but if you looking for another US supplier then I'd recommend DVDPacific.

dts197

Distinguished Member
Received My Name Is Earl from PlayUSA today with a chuffing £11.74 customs charge on it. It clearly states on the label it was posted from Germany !! so why the charge ??

To be fair to PlayUsa, when you add something to your basket over a certain price, you do get a warning that you may be subject to import duties. It's the risk you take when you click "I agree".

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
To be fair to PlayUsa, when you add something to your basket over a certain price, you do get a warning that you may be subject to import duties. It's the risk you take when you click "I agree".

I agree, But when they ship from within the EU it should be exempt from any import duties.

mikegambit

Banned

Playusa have a European distribution arm for final shipping to the UK but the product still comes from outside the EU so charges are due on it.

I would think that Play receive all the US goods into the Euro depot but the additional charges that would be due for them to pay are forwarded to the UK buyers.

As another poster said, this is all made very clear when you buy anything over £17.99 and as they wont allow you to buy without clicking the "I agree" you wont have a leg to stand on.
If the item is returned to Play you will incur additional postage charges.

But its all pot luck.

My Star Trek TOS season 2 Bluray got through the other week as have other items before.
Some do & some dont - its a gamble.

If you dont want to take the gamble order from Movietyme

TUCKERS

Just noticed that playusa have increased a large number of their pre-order blu-rays by £1, taking them to £18.99. This pushes them higher than the import limit, and you are now advised of the possibility of incurring import duty/taxes when you try to add a £18.99 title to your basket. I will now think twice about ordering from them unless the bluray is £17.99 or under

P

Paver

I'm now just buying UK discs apart from the odd region locked release or must have movies released much earlier in the US.

hollerme

A vote for AxelMusic, at times very expensive but their service is excellent and delivery swift.

mikegambit

Banned
Movietyme are pretty good . Delivery can be a bit slow.
But prices on some titles are quite high - usually £3 -£5 dearer than Playusa.

Play are doing the Wizard of Oz boxset for £36.99 and MT are doing the exact same one for £54.99.

There was also a £15 difference when I got the Austin Powers set so its sometimes worth chancing it with Play and customs.

None of this years £18+ Play items have been caught out I'm glad to say

Zoogly

The reason Movietyme's prices are higher is that they pay the customs charge up front, so the price they quote is the only price you'll have to pay.
The reason customs charges are so exorbitant is that the Post Office doesn't just charge you Customs and Excise tax, they add a whopping £8 "handling charge" per package onto the bill.
Get stung like that a few times and you're looking at quite a big amount.
One suggestion is go with PlayUSA for anything under £18 and a site like Movietyme for anything above.
Another is wait for the price to go down!:)

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
It is only Import VAT and the admin fee. There is no customs duty to pay (with a order value of £120).

There isn't much anymore from PlayUSA under £18. They raised all their £17.99 prices to £18.99.

24 P

You guys are getting torn a new one, we here in Australia don't pay any import tax for items under $1,000.00 AUD, that's about 500 quid..
I would never think of paying tax on something that cost close to the tax itself..
Greedy republicans..

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

captainH

Well playusa can stick it from now on. Just got Pelham 123 through and the customs charges plus Royal Mail Ripoff fees brought the price of the film up to nearly 40 nicker! What a con!

When the Royal Mail aren't on strike bringing the country to its knees, it's fleecing hard working men 8 quid to put a bloody sticker on a package.

Ooooh. Livid I am etc.

easingfield a

I have to agree, play is becoming abit hit and miss with charges at the moment, some things i order (box sets) get through without an issue but some get caught, Along time ago i could probably have suggested a list of people to look at, but i think due to the current climate alot of smaller suppliers have gone, which leaves just the bigger ones.

Although i have never used movietyme, i very rarely hear any bad things about them, as well as axelmusic i have used them twice without any issues at all, my only quarm is the postage charge, but if this helps heres who i can suggest

Movietyme (never purchased from)
Axelmusic (purchased twice & no problems)
Amazon (beware of some of the sellers on there cheap isnt always best)
dvdworldusa - (Sister uses these and raves, although some people on here may disagree)
usdirect - (one of my favs - service is normally spot on, but again higher prices and postage to pay)

Hope this helps:smashin:

elaniel

Can I add in DVDExpress247.com » Home

They are absolutely brilliant! 6 days to get items from them and free shipping. Super cheap as well compared to the likes of Movietyme.

Sad thing is, if you pre-order you pay straight away, but great service from them.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom