Alternative to Piper NV

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've been looking into securing my home for a while and was going to get the piper nv. However after researching, it would be best to get a separate hub to interact with peripherals so I was thinking of getting smarthings and piper.
Then I got thinking is there an alternative camera than the piper nv so I only use snarthings hub?
My criteria are:
No fees, local or cloud storage with ability to automatically upload videos to Google drive, night vision and battery backup.

I currently own a nest smoke alarm and thermostat and a synology nas.
I was going to buy piper.nv, Samsung st, door/window sensors (sensitive strips), fibaro motion sensor, and some Philips hue bulbs.

Thanks for any advice!

What peripherals do you mean? I have Piper NV, been using if for about a year and it has been perfect for us. Needed to buy a couple of plug in Z Wave extenders to get some of the door sensors to reach but otherwise no complaints
Edit: I see what you mean now, you want a system that covers more than just cameras, door sensors and on/off switches. Interested to see what you end up going for

Really like the Piper NV, Just hate it's location awareness along side Life360. Always setting the damn alarm off.

It knows when everyone has left the home, but doesn't detect when we return!!!!

Tried IFTTT but its just so temperamental as there is more than 1 person living in the home.

Any tips from Piper nv owners?

Interested in SmartThings too, but at £200 I'm a tad put off seen as i already own Logitech Harmony Elite & Hub which is similar (except doesn't talk with Piper)

Piper device itself is a solid device and to the OP, it can do all that you require except google drive storage, though I believe this is possible via IFTTT. You do get cloud storage for 30 days with the device but only for things like motion, light, loud sound detection videos when armed. Not 24/7 recording like the Nest Cam....but you pay additional monthly fees for that.

What I'm worried about with piper is how guests can deactivate the system. If I'm away and the catsitter comes by or a neighbour pops in how can they disable it without bothering me on my holiday. I was thinking the fibaro button might be good as they could click it a few times to put piper into home mode, but I've read reviews saying it has problems recovering from sleep mode and doesn't always register the first click.

What I'm worried about with piper is how guests can deactivate the system. If I'm away and the catsitter comes by or a neighbour pops in how can they disable it without bothering me on my holiday. I was thinking the fibaro button might be good as they could click it a few times to put piper into home mode, but I've read reviews saying it has problems recovering from sleep mode and doesn't always register the first click.
I keep an old phone (Z3) plugged in in the utility with a pin code lock. I've given the cat sitter some instructions based on screen grabs and it works fine.

I'd prefer some sort of NFC tag reader in the hall that I could just give them a tag for

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom