Alternative to Pioneer PD10? (CD player with USB)

MoFoHo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all. For Xmas I decided on a small project,to build a cheap, but hi quality hifi separates system for my G/Fs eldest daughter.

On Ebay I found a Denon PMA355UK integrated amplifier, and on Xmas Eve I picked up the speakers I'd sourced, a pair of mint condition Mission Volare V61s. Together, just listening to music on my phone, this combination absolutely rock, the sound really fills the room. And yesterday, on setting up and hearing a 'propper' hifi system for the first time, she (the daughter) was suitability impressed. (as was I, I couldn't stop listening to this gear during 'testing' on Xmas Eve)

However, finding a music source is proving rather difficult. For now, she can use her phone (not great), or the CD part of her old Sandstrom system. As a CD player it sounds pretty awful, but it does have one nice feature, a USB input that allows it to play mp3 files on a USB stick. She also still has a lot of CDs, but obviously, most music these days is stored digitally. I myself demonstrated playback of some flac files on my phone. I've also installed nearly 100gb worth of music onto a USB hard drive (a mixture of mp3/flac files).

So obviously my question is, is there any relatively inexpensive way of playing back CDs AND music files on a USB device? Obviously I could find a gorgeous 90's HiFi CD player on Ebay and continue my trip down memory lane. But I also need a 'HiFi' device that can play music 'files' too.

Initially the Pioneer PD-10 SACD player looked perfect. It's relatively cheap, is a nice looking CD player (SACD playback too, woohoo!) and has that useful USB input too (albeit just mp3 playback, no flac or wav file compatibility). However the Amazon reviews scare me, lots of reports of units dying after short term use (a known internal fuse falt apparently). So all I'm asking is, is there an alternative? We don't really need a full on media streamer, as they don't have that good of a network, and I'd prefer to keep things simple.

Even a cheap 'n cheerful BD player can do all these tricks now most probably! But I'm looking for something that looks a little nicer, a bit more 'hifi seperates' if you catch my drift? Any suggestions would be most welcome!

A Denon DCD720AE fits the bill, just under £150 from Richer Sounds currently, supposed to be pretty decent players for the money.

That actually looks pretty nice, thanks. And thanks for the quick reply. I'm guessing that MAYBE the Denon amps remote may operate some basic functions also. Just a shame the USB input doesn't playback wav or flac files...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom