1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to Philips 9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by esieens, Jan 14, 2005.

1. esieens

esieens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Everybody is tlaking about the Philips 9986 - is tehre any other alternative lcd screen (nearly) as good as the Philips one?

Reading the forum it sounds like Philips is the only option.

Thanks,
    David

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    It' all fairly subjective but the top four would have to be the Philips 9986, Sharp 32GD1E (GA3/GA4 if you can get hold of them), Toshiba 32WL48 and also the Sony MRX1 (although this doesn't have DVI connection).

3. paulduckworth

paulduckworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sharp LC32GD1E (for about a week now). I was on the verge of getting the philips, but went for the sharp at the last moment for the following reasons...

1. Seperate media box - I wanted to have it wall mounted on an arm so that it could be "put away".
    2. Connections - Not 100% sure on my logic for this one (please correct me)Sky HD will output via HDMI, the Philips can handle this as well as the Sharp, but the sharp also has the component input seperate so you could input Sky HD via the DVI and a HD/Blue Ray DVD player via the component, saving having to use any kind of switching equipment as I can't justify changing my AV receiver to one that will handle this kind of thing.

The Philips looks excellent and according to the reviews just pips the sharp on the picture quality, but to be honest the media box clinched for me. I was looking at the Sony MRX1 but I have seen fairly bad reviews in terms of PQ and it also doesn't have the DVI input.

Just to place myself on the fence a little, I don't think you could go too far wrong with either the Sharp of the Philips.

4. dickie

dickie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    And are U satisfied now? And how do U like the PQ?

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why are you looking for an alternative?

The 9986 does seem to have the prize for the best picture performance at the moment, but as Paul Duckworth suggested, there are valid reasons for looking elsewhere.

If your reason is budgetary then there are alternatives that are nearly as good. (Toshiba 32WL48 and Philips 32PF9976 - The 9976 is nearly identical performance wise to the 9986 barring PixelPlus2 and the Ambilight.)

Jimmy

6. paulduckworth

paulduckworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very happy with the PQ on my Sharp. I did spend a bit of time getting it setup right, and now I'm happy.

I think I set myself up for a little bit of disapointment by expecting it to be better than my CRT for normal Sky pictures, but it's OK.

DVD's are excellent via a reasonable quality RGB scart and I saw a Hi def demo on my screen in the shop which was AMAZING!!!!!

To be honest, the hi def PQ sold it to me. I can't wait for Sky HD to come out - if anyone from sky is listening, please let me trial it for you!!!!