Alternative to Nvidia PureVideo Decoder

WSB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

does anyone know of any free decoders out there? My freeview on MCE has given up due to the fact that the trial version of the decoder has expired. I'm just wondering if there are any free alternatives to try....else I guess I'll have to purchase it. I looked on Scan and its a rip off as they charge way too much for delivery and you cant order direct from nvidia as it looks to be a US/Canada only thing.

You can download trials of WinDVD or PowerDVD. Eventually you will have to 'buy' one but that should give you another month or so :p

I've seen the OEM version of PowerDVD for a couple of quid with a couple of quid postage. Think it was ebuyer

thanks- think i may even have it somewhere as i bought a lightscribe dvd writer recently.

OK- so I got home last night- completely uninstalled nvidia - did have Power DVD installed but my TV playback and TV Recording playback on MCE still comes up with a Decoder error.

Any ideas? Didnt try a dvd- so perhaps I should have done. Where does MCE decide what decoder to use for live TV or recordings?

no more e4 :rolleyes:

WSB said:
OK- so I got home last night- completely uninstalled nvidia - did have Power DVD installed but my TV playback and TV Recording playback on MCE still comes up with a Decoder error.

Any ideas? Didnt try a dvd- so perhaps I should have done. Where does MCE decide what decoder to use for live TV or recordings?

no more e4 :rolleyes:

Sounds like thats the problem,

what i would do:

remove any other DVD software, download ms dvd codec check
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ac-0ab6-4990-943d-627e6ade9fcb&displaylang=en
and install a known good working codec, the one on the cole2k link above works ok.

run the codec check and choose the working codec.

jon

I just bought WinDVD 7 as well and the quality is superb.

Finally got rid of the interlacing on LiveTV too!!! had tweaked and fiddled with the nVidia codec endlessly but never managed to get rid of it totally.

So :thumbsup: for WinDVD 7 :)

I've tried WinDVD 6 & 7 with TV in MCE and found I couldn't rewind/fast forward then go into play without it showing a message about no signal then having to hit stop and play to get any picture back.

Does no one else have this issue with WinDVD?

Should have mentioned, I have Sky+ via S-Video into a PVR-150 MCE

Have watched a couple of hours LiveTV this evening and I'm pretty sure the picture has improved considerably (tho this is probably connected to the interlacing issue I was having before)

TheCrow said:
I've tried WinDVD 6 & 7 with TV in MCE and found I couldn't rewind/fast forward then go into play without it showing a message about no signal then having to hit stop and play to get any picture back.

Does no one else have this issue with WinDVD?

yes I do the same, when I rwd/fwd, I get the error, but i just stop it and play it and it works...it's a known bug in win dvd as weell as it not keeping the audio settigns, they still have not fixed it yet...but i have a Logitech Dinovo keyboard, and it has fwd/rwd buttons on it and it can skip through the recorded tv as if it was a dvd by 10-30 seconds intervals, so i use that instead...buy that keyboard...it's the "Dinivo cordeless desktop for notebooks" , best keyboard I have used, has laptop style keys, it's thin and light and comfortable and has good range, and yes the media keys are handy, great alternatvie to the ms medi center keyboard...

Mediaportal comes with free dvd codecs and is free :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom