1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to Minolta Z2

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by spongefactory, Jul 7, 2004.

1. spongefactory

spongefactory
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a Minolta Z2. Could anyone tell me which others I should be thinking of?
    I need a long lens, long shutter speed, plenty of manual control and quick focusing.
    No more than £250.
    Also..what part of the spec tells me how low the light level can be (I need to be able to focus in the dark).

Cheers.

2. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main contender for the Z2, is most likely the Fuji S5000. It again offers a 10x optical zoom, and although the true pixel count is slightly lower (3.2mp) the interpolation up to 6mp will likely give a similar result to that of the Z2. Alternatively the Olympus C750 or 765 both offer a 10x optical with similar features to the Z2, but in a much nicer and more compact body.
    All of those should squeeze in your budget, if you considered going slightly over budget then the Panasonic might be worth considering. It has a stunning 12x optical zoom lens and a wealth of manual features. It also matches the Z2s resolution at 4mp, however you would likley be looking nearer £350 :thumbsdow

Anyway hope thats provided some food for thought.

3. spongefactory

spongefactory
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    Even though I've always had Olympus camera's I've dismissed the ones you mention as I don't like the looks. Too much like a compact. I like the way a traditional SLR handles and thought the Z2 and S5000 would be the same but smaller and lighter. I guess it will come down to the handling. I think I'd prefer an optical viewfinder (Z2) and I don't think the S5000 has a hotshoe. I'll have to get them both together and see which one "feels" right.

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    How about a Fuji S Pro? I've ummed and arred about getting one of these for some time! Part of the attraction is that for around £307.00 you get a 1gb IBM Microdrive... and the camera gets some good reviews as well :)

Available from Empire Direct