Alternative to KEF S2 for LS50 Meta

RazerMouse

Ex Member
Reaction score
All,

Any recommendations for cheaper stands than KEF S2 for use with KEF LS50 Meta in white?

Thanks in advance.

Atacama are well known for their stands - they have a cheap and cheerful Nexxus Essential Range (600 & 700 series) amongst many other options (these about £150 in white)

There are different top plate sizes available. I use them for my KEF R3's - perfectly fine and much cheaper than the daft £400 for the S2s....

Last edited:
Very nice...I like them both!

Yep can´t much go wrong with any of the mentioned as the top plate size is quite similar to S2. The new Nexxus looks nice too. 400£ for S2 stands, jeez!

Reviewer used the Stylum 2s with LS50 picture below. I had them for surround speakers, nothing bad to say. Arendal uses them in their office with 1723 S the last time i asked are they introducing stands. Anyway they are quite popular in Europe.

Custom Design makes FS104 Signature specifically for LS50. Bit more pricey though. The RS302 looks nice and is still half cheaper than S2 stands.

KEF-LS50-with-norstone-stylum-2.jpg

Keep in mind, though, that all of the stands mentioned (including the FS-104 Signature LS50 stands) are really on the lowish side of acceptable for the LS50 Meta.

One of the cool new features of LS50 Meta (and LS50 Wireless II) is that you can finally bolt the speaker rigidly to its S2 stand. This and the unobtrusive looks made me stick with the KEF stands. This plus the discounted price I got on the LS50 Meta + S2 kit. :) If quality matches the original LS50 stands then there's nothing to complaint about (except the price ...).

Unfortunately the stands are on backorder so I just received the speakers so far. If the dealership goes bankrupt before they can deliver the stands it wasn't a bargain. :p

If the hight of the stands really is an issue depends on your listening room and furniture, of course. I wouldn't want my stands to be any lower than S2, although my sofa is pretty low already.

I'm sure bolting the speakers to the stand might give a sense of security to many - especially those with pets or young children. Entirely a personal choice of course. I did look at this myself and noticed that most people were happy just using the adhesive pads that come with the stands and whatever speakers they might have - or even home-grown fixes - blu-tack is a common one it seems. Pads are fine for me - R3s are very stable.
Obviously you'd need to make sure the stands are firmly fixed/supported into the floor (spikes if on carpet) and also part-filling them aides stability and reduces resonance as well. Atacama sells stuff for that but sand and an array of cheap fillers will do you just as well.

Checking the height is a good idea of course - think the Atacamas are about 25-28 inches which is standard.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other - I'm sure you'll get what works best for you and you have plenty of options now - hope you enjoy the LS50s when you finally get them up!

Dang....I have to admit the securing the speaker to the official KEF stand has it's appeal...I plan to get R3 front with S2 stands....and considering two pairs of LS50 for rear duties...would be nice if all the same stands!

R3 don't have the thread insert, though, as far as I know (like the Meta and Wireless II do). At least the manual doesn't mention it.

You could still either use the holes with selt-tapping screws or fit inserts yourself.

I made a new LS50 Meta fixing plates for Q Acoustics 3000i stands. Those stands are around £130 and the sheet metal was £35.

To be fair I already had those stands and didn't fancy spending £400.

The 3000i is not a perfect match for Kef Arctic white, but in practice it looks fine. They sound great and I have the 3000i filled with Atacama Atabites. The 3000i don't have cable management but white cable ties fixes that.

Attachments

• 20220804_005611.jpg
    20220804_005611.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220804_010323.jpg
    20220804_010323.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 127
Nice job @AVgulag - I negotiated a package deal with Peter Tyson and got the KEF stands for £300. They are well built, heavy….but not sure worth £400

Hi folks i'm also in the same position as OP. I have narrowed the stands down to the Atamaca Moseco 6 and NeXXus 600 essential (both white versions).

I've noticed in Whathifi review they say the LS50s sound better on the Moseco 6 over the NeXXus 600 essential which surprised me. I thought there would be no difference.

I can get the nexxus for 50 cheaper on sale so would go with them if there's no difference but now i'm thinking i might be missing out for the sake of 50 quid. Anyone heard something similar?

Really no need to screw speakers onto stands. A decent sized blob of white tac on each corner and good luck removing the speaker from the stand. I always struggle to get the apart when I need to.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm just surpised Whathifi would say one stand would affect sound that much compared to another from the same manufacturer. I thought it was a bit of snake oil salesmanship but there seems to be at least some truth to it in relation to the moseco 6 stand compared to Nexxus 600.

According to whathifi on the Nexxus stands review:

Pros​

• Sturdy build
  • Multiple top plate sizes available
  • Compatible with a wide variety of standmount speakers

Cons​

• Reigning Atacama Moseco 6 champ remains the better choice

Last edited:
People (eg other half or cleaner) seem to grab the speaker rather than the stand when trying move them, so I prefer screwing them together if possible. If blutac releases mid-manouvre, you'll have a dropped speaker...:(

My thoughts exactly.

I'm just surpised Whathifi would say one stand would affect sound that much compared to another from the same manufacturer. I thought it was a bit of snake oil salesmanship but there seems to be at least some truth to it in relation to the moseco 6 stand compared to Nexxus 600.

According to whathifi on the Nexxus stands review:

Pros​

• Sturdy build
  • Multiple top plate sizes available
  • Compatible with a wide variety of standmount speakers

Cons​

• Reigning Atacama Moseco 6 champ remains the better choice

What hifi say different hdmi cables make massive differences or that speaker cable or power cables do. Blind tests have demonstrated many times this is non sense. As long as it is stable and fits your speaker your golden

What hifi say different hdmi cables make massive differences or that speaker cable or power cables do. Blind tests have demonstrated many times this is non sense. As long as it is stable and fits your speaker your golden
Thanks stevos my thoughts exactly. I'm well aware of certain reviewing sites pushing particular brands etc but what stuck out to me on this one was it was between two models of the same brand.

Anyway I've ordered the Atamaca Nexxus 600 essential as they were on sale so happy out with that.

Thanks stevos my thoughts exactly. I'm well aware of certain reviewing sites pushing particular brands etc but what stuck out to me on this one was it was between two models of the same brand.

Anyway I've ordered the Atamaca Nexxus 600 essential as they were on sale so happy out with that.

Personal view, go for whatever looks prettiest to you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom