Alternative to iPod Classic.

thisisjimmi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have recently bought an iPod Classic 160 GB and to be honest I am disappointed. Firstly the iTunes... but I could live with that but not with the sound quality, output from the headphone socket seems just very average. I have compared it to my old Sony k800 mobile on the same headphones and the iPod quite simply sounds worst to me. It sounds flat and it doesn't output the same range as the Sony - and the Sony is just a mobile (this is not even the Walkman range).
The user interface of the iPod Classic feels old dated and slow - it's really poor experience.

I really want to have a portable player with a very big storage (min 64GB), good SQ through both headphone socket and direct before the amplifier (for iPod there are such docks) with an option to attach to my HiFi through a dock with RCA cables.
Now I have a question to you is there a better alternative for the iPod Classic with such functionalities?

Cheers
Jimmi

What headphones are you using? The iPod classic can sound very good, but the headphone amplifier in it is heavily current-limited to achieve good battery life. About the only thing it can drive properly are in-ear monitors like those from Shure - for anything else, it will need a headphone amp.

I ended up buying the new 160GB classic last friday as a birthday present to myself. Not been keen on Ipods but after having it for a few days its nowhere near as bad as I thought/read. Im recording all my most listened to albums in lossless to get the most out of them and everything else will be AAC (around 192kbps). I ditched the supplied earphones straight away and bought some Sennheiser CX300 Precision earphones (not the expensive by a long stretch but gets great reviews). I listen to a lot of metal/rock based music so was worried about how the classic would handle the sound. Ive only managed to listen to Muse & Slipknot so far having spent a lot of the time converting CDs to Itunes but first impressions are better than expected. Will be having more of a play around with EQ settings but leaving it off seems to give the best results to my ears.

My biggest problem is Itunes, its too complicated. All I want to do is put music on my Ipod and then actually listen to it! I don't want to have to spend ages converting albums into other formats (I have a fair few albums on my PC rather than CD) and also getting track numbers/names when i convert a non cd based album to lossless format (which I have to do using other software).

Although the Ipod is not the best sounding player out there the price vs the storage you get is a no brainer for me, you just need to ditch the supplied ear buds

I was using it with a JVC ear buds (don't know the model number). These JVCs are good.
After spending some time with iTunes and learning a bit about it I have to say that the application is actually quite good. The iPod however is not staying, as I simply don't like how it sounds. I tired different encodings and it feels cold and average to me, and you can't even define the EQ settings yourself - there are only predefined ones. Too bad as there isn't an alternative (storage!) on the market to it. I will have to wait and see what the future brings.
Does the iPhone and Touch sound different to the classic?

Cheers
Jimmi

with respect to iTunes, if you use Linux, try gtkpod. Its a much simpler way to interface to the ipod.

I was using it with a JVC ear buds (don’t know the model number). These JVCs are good.
After spending some time with iTunes and learning a bit about it I have to say that the application is actually quite good. The iPod however is not staying, as I simply don't like how it sounds. I tired different encodings and it feels cold and average to me, and you can't even define the EQ settings yourself - there are only predefined ones. Too bad as there isn't an alternative (storage!) on the market to it. I will have to wait and see what the future brings.
Does the iPhone and Touch sound different to the classic?

Cheers
Jimmi

I have to admit after listening to different albums Im struggling to find an EQ which gives a satisfying sound. Encoding albums to lossless helps a lot but I don't want to do that with every album due to the time it takes and the drain it would have on the battery. I encoded an mp3 album which was already encoded above 300kbps to 256kbps AAC but to me it just doesnt sound as good as it should. Ill be giving my earphones more time to wear themselves in as ive found, with all the half decent earphones ive owned, they need a good 10 hours+ use in order to get the full quality out of them but i must admit at the minute im missing my Zune....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom