1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative to H57

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Moonlighter, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Moonlighter

Moonlighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking for my 1st projector and was wondering if anybody has any opinions on the following projectors or any additional projectors around the £2000 mark. I know it's better to view but I don't have the time to go to shops for viewings and tend to buy from user opinions.

Optoma H57, Infocus 5700 or 4805, Sony HS50.

I would prefer advice from people who have actually seen these projectors in action.

2. GLADIATOR

GLADIATOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moonlighter

My advice is make sure you go for a demo, even if its brief. You have listed a few DLP pj's and an LCD. Have you viewed a DLP pj before? It a good idea just to confirm you don't suffer from "rainbows" or eye strain when viewing.

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had a look at an Infocus 4800 and really had to look hard for rainbows. They were there but didn't bother me.

Has anybody seen any of these projectors I have listed and willing to share their experiences.

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    If DLP rainbows do not bother you, then any of the listed pjs are excellent. In order from worst to best I would say- 4805, HS50, 5700, H57. But this is ONLY my opinion. If it's your first foray in the wonderful world of projectors, then which ever of these you choose, you'll be pleased with. Keep reading these forums to find out any faults or problems that may arise with these models. They do sometimes crop up as more and more people use them.

5. Moonlighter

Moonlighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for this information Oakleyspatz. I have already ordered the H57 but feel a bit fobbed off over delivery dates and was hoping for an alternative to this projector. Looks like I won't be cancelling my order.

6. jwm15

jwm15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had an H57 since the beginning of December (I was one of the lucky few). I decided on it after auditioning an AE700, HS20, H56a, Sim2 Domino 20 and Sanyo Z2. I considered the HS50 but was put off by the bad warranty (1 year) and noticable screendoor in the HS20 -- frankly, I am skeptical about all of the hype surrounding it. I am sure it is good but not the world beater many claim it to be. In my opinion the LCDs just do not have the same richness as DLPs. The AE700 was the only other machine I seriously considered as its price-performance is very good; the Dominos are old news and very overpriced for what you get (not to mention large and noisy).

So, I suggest you wait for the H57 to arrive. I was lucky as my order was one of the very first received and the dealer allowed me to audition the system before actually commiting (thanks Ben!) Projectors are a very subjective affair but I am very sure that you would be glad you waited for the H57. I love mine to bits.

Season's Greetings

-- J

7. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Moonlighter, Have you tried to Audiovision as an H57 supplier? Neil is they guy you should speak to there. They have a good relationship with Optoma, and may be able to get it to you sooner. Just a thought.

http://www.audiovisiononline.co.uk/

8. kia

kia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi iv had my h57 since mid november iv got it conected to a denon 1910 via dvi and the picture quality is briliant a huge leap forward from my old panny ae100.its definetly worth waiting for

9. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I feel that after you demo all the pj's you mentioned you will find the H57 truely supreme, even if the resolution is 1024. forget tech for just a minute and eye the picture.... 7oaks will price match and offer superior service all round!

CH

10. Moonlighter

Moonlighter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all your responses. I was hoping the H57 would arrive before Christmas but there seems to be a short supply and now I have to wait untill January for a delivery. Looking forward to receiving it.