Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

alternative to dead pioneer dv 636d

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dr_dale, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Dr_dale

Dr_dale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Im new as a member to to this forum and have it admit im impressed with how fireindly everyone is. Can you suggest a good alternative to my pioneer 636d which has brocken down after 4 years loyal service. The disk loads then the whole thing freezes through the copytight notice. i can chapter etc etc and getabout 2 sec then freeze again.
    If the repair cost is above £70 then were just gonna bin it a get a new player. Any suggestions. You can get more bang for buck this days, which player gives the good audio performance of the old one. I am gonna spend £100-200. Preferably multiregion and optical out audio.
    Kit attached is crappy matsui TV ( I KNOW but we were IMPRESSED with the picture qual 6 years ago). Sony HTK215.

Cheers Dale

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    In a like for like sense, the £150 (and less) Pioneer DV575 does more than the 636 ever did but after the 636 you may be a little dissapointed at the build quality. The real successor to the 636 is technically the 668 which hovers around the £350 mark but that is more than you really want to spend- its a nice player though. Other units worth considering would be the Toshiba SD-340 which is pretty cheap but has a good picture and the Denon 1910 which has a digital video output as well.