Alternative to a center channel ???

Clond

Standard Member
Reaction score
Having a old but ideal set up of the KEF 3005se range and 8inch ceilings, I started a fire tv wall for my Media Lounge.

Now I can create a shelf to sit the centre package but it had me thinking: if I have an 8 inch deep x 1.7m x 40cm space, could I put in a speaker like the atmos?

Most centres carry extra subs so is there a centre that I can get that avoids a shelf or sticky out bits tat can use the void to it's best advantage?

Any thoughts ....

If you looking to just replace the centre channel speaker, you can keep the KHT3005SE and just use the T-101c. When launched, I was surprised at how close a match the T-105 system was to the KHT3005SE.

If you do use this speaker, it really needs to be attached to the wall. If you move up to the T-301c, this should give you a boost over the centre you have today (again it needs to be mounted to the wall)

This should help you create a very clean line without any requirements for a shelf (even though you have one already built (not sure how hard this is to reverse))

Another way is to hear how the system sounds in phantom mode with does away with the centre channel and incorporates its sound into the front left and right hand channel. Ideally the left and right front speakers will be a little closer than you would ordinarily place them in a traditional surround sound setup

If you looking to just replace the centre channel speaker, you can keep the KHT3005SE and just use the T-101c. When launched, I was surprised at how close a match the T-105 system was to the KHT3005SE.

If you do use this speaker, it really needs to be attached to the wall. If you move up to the T-301c, this should give you a boost over the centre you have today (again it needs to be mounted to the wall)

This should help you create a very clean line without any requirements for a shelf (even though you have one already built (not sure how hard this is to reverse))

Another way is to hear how the system sounds in phantom mode with does away with the centre channel and incorporates its sound into the front left and right hand channel. Ideally the left and right front speakers will be a little closer than you would ordinarily place them in a traditional surround sound setup
Thanks for your input.
There is also the Q250c which says it doesn't require a port. I am still building so I am in no immediate rush but the dimensions don't indicate whether the terminals stick out proud of the unit depth (I have 200mm shelf to the back wall). I can not find pictures from the back.
The T301c surely cannot shift volume, can it really step up over the 3005se centre? I have 2 centres so could shift them to left and right as I move them about.
The ceilings are kef 160's so would like to keep them all from the same club.

kind regards
Chris

If memory serves me correct, the 250’s binding posts do stick out

As for the t301c being a match, when I demonstrated the t105 system when it launched, they were on a par with the 3005se to my ears whereas there was more available from its larger brother. Your right, it’s not a large volume seller, but it certainly fits a requirement when needed. Do note that it still needs an LFE subwoofer connected to the amp as it does piggyback onto it as all the t-series products do plus they have to be wall mounted. Doing anything else with them is a waist as it uses the wall to help it work (or at least that’s what I was told) as you can hear the difference when it’s not

If you’re happy with the in ceilings, don’t let anyone change your mind

hope that helps a little

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom