Alternative speakers for large room

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by conmur, May 5, 2016.

1. conmur

conmur
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its been a long time since I posted here for help, so fingers crossed you can help and I've picked the right forum....

I have a large room roughly 8m x 8m. I currently run a set of Harman Kardon sound sticks off an iPad for music which is really subtle and good enough for easy background listening. When we have a party though, whilst the SS impress, they max out and can't fill the room.

My wife hates big in your face speakers (floor or stand) so I'm looking for a bigger version / alternative for the soundsticks.

I assume that as active speakers are quite limited that I'll need some nice speakers and a separate amp.

Would really appreciate the suggestions (and before you ask, budget is about £250 - £750 depending on the solution)

Thanks

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,922
    If you're generally happy with the HKs for day to day use, maybe consider buying something specifically for parties? As an idea a pair of these would sit right in the middle of your budget. Would give all the party volume you're ever going to need & could be packed away when not needed, so the wife stays happy. As they're built specifically for the purpose there's also far less chance of something hifi getting killed by too much enthusiasm with the volume control.

That's just a suggestion & not a recommendation as I don't know the product. But looking at pro-audio could be the best solution.

3. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,289
    If you're happy with the HK SS's then you'd be extremely impressed with one of the following...

Buy Sonos PLAY:5 Smart Speaker, 2nd Gen | John Lewis
    Buy Naim mu-so QB Digital Wireless Bluetooth Music System with Apple AirPlay, Spotify Connect & TIDAL Compatibility | John Lewis
    Buy Naim mu-so Digital Wireless Bluetooth Music System with Apple AirPlay | John Lewis
    Buy Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Wireless Wi-Fi Bluetooth Speaker | John Lewis

They are all lifestyle type speakers and will all outperform the sound sticks. I can't actually believe they manage to get close to filling a room the size you have. They are primarily designed for use with a computer on a desk.

Another option, as already suggested, is to keep the HK SS's for your everyday listening and buy something like this...

Genelec 8030B Bi-Amped Studio Monitor (Pair) at Gear4music.com

and just wheel them out for when you want a party! :beer:

4. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Two very different applications that, ideally, require two very different solutions - as has already been said.

A pair of speakers that would fill such a large room with party-level sound won't be the sort of thing to sit neatly on a desk so you can listen close-up. The solution is either a compromise product (such as a pair of active nearfield monitors) or two different setups.

Note that active speakers tend to play cleaner at high levels than most equivalently priced and sized passive speakers - so you can usually squeeze a bit more volume out of actives. Also, any decent active will have in-built electronic protection circuits to prevent damage if over-driven. A compromise product could be a smallish pair of actives - just don't expect miracles from a small box.