Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Alternative speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ali K, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

Sorry for the long post, hard to explain this stuff in a concise manner.

Just about to (finally) finally receive my KEF KHT 2005.2 speakers and was wondering about speaker cable.

I am currently running Monster XP speaker cable (go a good deal, 100 ft for about 20 quid) but will need more once the KEFs arrive and I upgrade to a 6.1 or 7.1 setup (currently have a Q6c as center, may buy an extra egg). I have access to 4*1.4 sqmm or 4*2.4 sqmm cable (normally used for signalling, with the cores laid out in a quad twist) which I can have for free :) . The said cable offers excellent noise rejection properties due to its layout (I was planning on terminating opposing cores into a banana plug to get a pair of cables) but I am unclear as to how the differnces in capacitance, reactance between this and "normal" flat speaker cable will effect sound? I remember seeing something about a "star quad" speaker cable somewhere, the four core cable I have is basically the same. Should I go for this FREE option, or buy some standard speaker cable.

I am currently stationed in the Middle East, so getting hold of AV gear is quite hard, have been waiting three months for the KEFs :mad:

Thank you all in advance

Ali

2. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :lease: