1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Ali K, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

Sorry for the long post, hard to explain this stuff in a concise manner.

Just about to (finally) finally receive my KEF KHT 2005.2 speakers and was wondering about speaker cable.

I am currently running Monster XP speaker cable (go a good deal, 100 ft for about 20 quid) but will need more once the KEFs arrive and I upgrade to a 6.1 or 7.1 setup (currently have a Q6c as center, may buy an extra egg). I have access to 4*1.4 sqmm or 4*2.4 sqmm cable (normally used for signalling, with the cores laid out in a quad twist) which I can have for free :) . The said cable offers excellent noise rejection properties due to its layout (I was planning on terminating opposing cores into a banana plug to get a pair of cables) but I am unclear as to how the differnces in capacitance, reactance between this and "normal" flat speaker cable will effect sound? I remember seeing something about a "star quad" speaker cable somewhere, the four core cable I have is basically the same. Should I go for this FREE option, or buy some standard speaker cable.

I am currently stationed in the Middle East, so getting hold of AV gear is quite hard, have been waiting three months for the KEFs :mad:

Thank you all in advance

Ali

2. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :lease: