1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative setup method to white noise/spl

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Radioactive__Man, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have tried to setup my speaker levels as instructed by amp manufacturer and also the optimode audio tests included with certain DVD's. But I remain unconvinced.

I am sure all speakers are in phase, properly aligned, levels set correctly, ears de-waxed etc etc.

But there are two specific things that annoy me on the R1 Gladiator DTS-ES audio track.

The 1st is when the new emperor [guy with dodgy lip] enters Rome and there is a row of "musicians" banging their drums as he enters. The sound of the drums are very muffled and not what I would expect.
    The 2nd is more a recommendation from another thread, where it was said that the scene where the Spaniard and his fellow gladiators have to despatch a large gladiator who is swirling a mace like weapon above his head, apparently this effect is supposed to be very convincing but for me alas it is not seamless.

So my question is, are there any more really convincing steering effects that you can recommend to check my setup, or should I order up that ear trumpet?.

2. Adam

Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The scene I am using at present as a personal test is one from Chicken Run, R2 DTS.
    The scene is the one where Ginger and Rocky find themselves in a pie to be baked. The two areas I listen for are the echo as they first enter the oven and then the sound of the gas burners lighting. They start in front of the two and then are lit right around the room. For me this is a great way to test sound "movement" for the want of a better word.
    I know it's not Gladiator but it's still a great film.

Adam ..

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Adam, thought this thread was a dud, I know the scene you mean, but unfortunately it was borrowed from an ex "friend" just before I upgraded from my DSPA595A to my current 7 speaker AX-1 setup, and I don't have the nerve/inclination to ask her for a loan again.
    I'm hoping someone can suggest another title.