alternative freeview box

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by sgn, Apr 2, 2003.

1. sgn

sgn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Nokia 221T. First impressions were good however it locks up frequently - a couple of times a day. I intend to take it back and get a refund. Can anyone recommend an alternative freeview box that doesn't suffer from such problems.

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Nokia 221T does not lock up at all so I suggest you have an installation problem. Make sure your aerial cable is suitable - i.e. double-shielded coax as used for satellite TV. Make sure your aerial is the correct type and located well away from sources of interference. Fit a mains suppressor adapter.

Fman

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Do you mean the box becomes in operable and you have to reboot it?

Have you got the latest software for it?

4. sgn

sgn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the box is inoperable and needs rebooting. The software versions are...
    system 1.1.2
    boot 1.3
    Mheg lib VM1.0.1c
    Are these the latest versions? If not do you know when the next transmission is - or at least where to look to find this information? I had a look at www.nokia.co.uk but could find any info.

I intend to upgrade my loft aerial to an external high gain aerial at the weekend.

many thanks in advance
    Steve

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Ooops.

6. DJM

DJM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    the site you mention Nokia.co.uk does have the information on the software versions. Follow the link
    http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,5184,5416,00.html
    and that should get you to the Software support section.

Anyway, the versions you have appear to be the latest.

My 221t has locked up only once, and never since using an anti-sugre mains lead - good idea for all AV equipment not just 221t.

What sort of signal strength are you getting? If it is down in the red, then it's probably doing well to work at all. Use Navi-bars to have a look at the signal strength (varies for each channel).

I use the standard co-ax fly lead that came with the 221t and have had no problems, but it is possible your installation is in a particularly (electrically) noisy location. Poor mains installations can affect STbs. Does the lock up happen when you turn lights on, the boiler kicks in or similar.

Nokia 221t current seems to be rated the best STB, but if you do decide to change, the Grundig is recommended as a close second. But I would check out the installation first as if the problems are electrical or aerial related, the Grundig will function no better.