Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Alternative 1920x1080 37"LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Headspun, Oct 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Headspun

Headspun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Love the new Philips 37PF9830 screen. Hate the size of the surrounding frame. Does anybody know of a realistic alternative coming to the market soon, that might look a little more elegant?

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Benq's 37" due in Feb/Mar for around £1500 or so.
    Also aware of Japan released Sharp and JVC 37" full HD resolution TVs.
    Given Sky+ HD launches in Feb/Mar, I'm presuming there'll be a number of new TVs from all and sundry to coincide with the launch.
    I imagine each manufacturer is working closely with Sky, in an attempt to drum up interest and sales in each other's product.

3. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    pjskel

Which Benq 37" model at £1500 are you refering to?

The Dv3750 already available online for UK delivery for £1100, see thread:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249562&highlight=dv3750

Unfortunately it does seem to allow 1080p inputs from a PC, but people are still trying to achieve this. Some user report 1080i PC input, but others say this does not work!!

Cleardragon did have a 42" LCD which had no digital inputs but was 1920x1080, VGA, Component and SCART (RGB), quite a good price if you want to risk sticking to analogue input. It is not such a draft idea, XBox360 via VGA, SkyHD via Component, you could do a lot worse. When BR/HD-DVD comes out HDMi black boxes, and modded AV switching amps will do the dirty HDCP business.

I am waiting for 2160p panels, they can scale 1080 (x2) and 720 (x3) more easily..................or am I just in dreamland again :boring: !

Nope I cannot lie, the truth can be amazing, bit pricey though:-

http://www.hdbeat.com/2005/10/20/four-eyes-needed-one-for-each-hdtv-program/

4. bashtage

bashtage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish the Westinghouse 37in 1920x1080 panel was available outside the US :lease: It's remarkably inexpensive if you are into the computer centric 1080 experience

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Yes, (and it's pjskel, not jerk - thanks for that SpockyLiar!!) but that's the European model - there MAY be differences when the UK version arrives. I know Benq are working with Sky closely before they release the 37 and 46" panels, not to mention their projectors as well.

6. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Sorry, a bit of a spoonerism, I tried to edit it as soon as I realised, you clearly read it first :oops: .

btw there is a heated discussion about 2160p displays on AVSForums:-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585122&page=1&pp=30

They seem to like scaling, and think a 768p screen with a scaled 720p image looks better than a native 720p image, apparately it can remove jaggegys present in the orginal digitised 720 image, makes a little sense for films....no good for PC uses Games/DTP/Web Browsing though.

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    And you managed to STILL get it wrong! No harm done though. ;)
    Frankly, beyond 1080 viewed at typical TV distances, you'll be hard pressed to see the difference, unless 65"+ displays are being used. So, I wouldn't overly concern myself with that and concentrate on getting the best for the money between now and March '06, when Sky+ HD is upon us.
    Scaling is obviously not an exact science, and it would seem some designs have better algorithms to roduce a better looking image. BUt again, from normal viewing distances on anything 32-45", you are hardly likely to see the differences. If the 720p signal is 1:1 mapped, it's two thin black lines top and bottom covering 24 pixels each.

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Double :oops: ............it was late!

Are you in a different time zone!!! :)