1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative 1920x1080 37"LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Headspun, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Headspun

Headspun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Love the new Philips 37PF9830 screen. Hate the size of the surrounding frame. Does anybody know of a realistic alternative coming to the market soon, that might look a little more elegant?

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Benq's 37" due in Feb/Mar for around £1500 or so.
    Also aware of Japan released Sharp and JVC 37" full HD resolution TVs.
    Given Sky+ HD launches in Feb/Mar, I'm presuming there'll be a number of new TVs from all and sundry to coincide with the launch.
    I imagine each manufacturer is working closely with Sky, in an attempt to drum up interest and sales in each other's product.

3. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    pjskel

Which Benq 37" model at £1500 are you refering to?

The Dv3750 already available online for UK delivery for £1100, see thread:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249562&highlight=dv3750

Unfortunately it does seem to allow 1080p inputs from a PC, but people are still trying to achieve this. Some user report 1080i PC input, but others say this does not work!!

Cleardragon did have a 42" LCD which had no digital inputs but was 1920x1080, VGA, Component and SCART (RGB), quite a good price if you want to risk sticking to analogue input. It is not such a draft idea, XBox360 via VGA, SkyHD via Component, you could do a lot worse. When BR/HD-DVD comes out HDMi black boxes, and modded AV switching amps will do the dirty HDCP business.

I am waiting for 2160p panels, they can scale 1080 (x2) and 720 (x3) more easily..................or am I just in dreamland again :boring: !

Nope I cannot lie, the truth can be amazing, bit pricey though:-

http://www.hdbeat.com/2005/10/20/four-eyes-needed-one-for-each-hdtv-program/

4. bashtage

bashtage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish the Westinghouse 37in 1920x1080 panel was available outside the US :lease: It's remarkably inexpensive if you are into the computer centric 1080 experience

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Yes, (and it's pjskel, not jerk - thanks for that SpockyLiar!!) but that's the European model - there MAY be differences when the UK version arrives. I know Benq are working with Sky closely before they release the 37 and 46" panels, not to mention their projectors as well.

6. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Sorry, a bit of a spoonerism, I tried to edit it as soon as I realised, you clearly read it first :oops: .

btw there is a heated discussion about 2160p displays on AVSForums:-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585122&page=1&pp=30

They seem to like scaling, and think a 768p screen with a scaled 720p image looks better than a native 720p image, apparately it can remove jaggegys present in the orginal digitised 720 image, makes a little sense for films....no good for PC uses Games/DTP/Web Browsing though.

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    And you managed to STILL get it wrong! No harm done though. ;)
    Frankly, beyond 1080 viewed at typical TV distances, you'll be hard pressed to see the difference, unless 65"+ displays are being used. So, I wouldn't overly concern myself with that and concentrate on getting the best for the money between now and March '06, when Sky+ HD is upon us.
    Scaling is obviously not an exact science, and it would seem some designs have better algorithms to roduce a better looking image. BUt again, from normal viewing distances on anything 32-45", you are hardly likely to see the differences. If the 720p signal is 1:1 mapped, it's two thin black lines top and bottom covering 24 pixels each.

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Double :oops: ............it was late!

Are you in a different time zone!!! :)