• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Alt. to L-ite / alternative subwoofer for Quad L-series

T

tc08

Hi,

I have been searching for a 5.1 system that is good for music and movies for maximum about €1700.... Right now it's leaning towards Quad L-ite, but I'm thinking that maybe a 12L-11L-L-center combination might be a lot better for music. But the L-Sub is really expensive, so I'm wondoring if anyone ahs any tips on a sub that is not that expensive but will work nicely with these speakers?

Or is there any good other alternative to Quad in the same price range that is considerably better sounding? I don't care if the speakers are small or floorstanfing, I just want maximum bang for the buck :)

clockworks

Prominent Member
I was thinking the same as you, that 11Ls would be better than the L-ites.
Having listened to both (with music, in 2.1), I actually preferred the L-ites. The 11Ls do go slightly deeper, but, since the sub integrates very well, the slight lack of bass with the L-ites doesn't matter - the sub will be doing all the work.

The L-ites have an "upgraded" tweeter, which will, apparently, be used in the 11L eventually. The smaller box also improves imaging.

Just get the L-ites. I don't think you can beat them without spending a lot more.

T

tc08

I was not thinking that much about the bass, more about the "wider" sound with the 11L, at least they felt like giving more volume to the sound in the room at the lower mid/upper bass segment....

clockworks

Prominent Member
tc08 said:
I was not thinking that much about the bass, more about the "wider" sound with the 11L, at least they felt like giving more volume to the sound in the room at the lower mid/upper bass segment....

It's possible that you are focussing on a different aspect of the music to me. I tend to home-in on imaging - can I tell exactly where a particular instrument is located, and detail - can I hear more of the incidental sounds, such as scratching guitar strings and breath sounds.

I figure that the more detail I can hear, and the more "solid" the soundstage, the better the speaker will perform. Overall tonal quality is hugely influenced by room acoustics. Your opinion might be reversed with a home demo.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom