ALR screens, worthwhile investment

gazclix

Established Member
Reaction score
After advice on ALR screens, I don't have a bat cave, my room has white walls and ceilings that I can't change, needs to be wife friendly. My projector is an Epson EH-TW7400, calibrated.My question is would I see a noticeable benefit from buying an ALR screen and if so does anyone have recommendations for which ones to buy.
Thanks

I’m interested here also. I have an N5. I’m looking for a fixed 110 inch.

I saw on the epson 4k laser thread draper were mentioned.

I have the 7400 and project onto the older ReAct 2.1 ALR 104”screen and found it far superior to my previous white screen But I do try to keep the image as low as possible away from the ceiling.
It’s the borderless version that is great for different aspect ratios.
latest version is still the ReAct 3.0 I believe.
My room has dark grey walls with white ceiling and white doors.
Here’s a pic from last Christmas.

567DDCA2-D6AC-402E-8184-D15FA1C40353.jpeg

I have my system in my lounge with off white walls and ceiling, and lots of windows! I decided early on to go alr and have a react 3.0 screen. I have never had a white screen so cannot compare, but demo’d both at the dealer and the draper was far better.

I have the 7400 and project onto the older ReAct 2.1 ALR 104”screen and found it far superior to my previous white screen But I do try to keep the image as low as possible away from the ceiling.
Here’s a pic from last Christmas.

View attachment 1609744
Can I ask what the roller blind is for, if that’s what it is!.

Can I ask what the roller blind is for, if that’s what it is!.
Yes, it’s my cheap way of masking the top black bar, it works pretty good, the lower black bar is projected onto the mvel22 on top of the besta unit.

After advice on ALR screens, I don't have a bat cave, my room has white walls and ceilings that I can't change, needs to be wife friendly. My projector is an Epson EH-TW7400, calibrated.My question is would I see a noticeable benefit from buying an ALR screen and if so does anyone have recommendations for which ones to buy.
Thanks
ALR screens are a challenge ! I can only recommend going seeing for yourself one of these in action.. be very wary of demo conditions ... and whether can match them :)

some things of note ...gain... or lack off. viewing from off angles and overall look to picture..

I say this as there are a few brands and types... so worth checking out the variations to see if like...

I dont know why but they seem popular in uk ie using ALR screens... i dont think i have seen one here used in homely conditions and really dont seem to fly in showrooms and demos here... ie not really doing a great job vs just a plain screen....am not talking draper here. more your black diamond and like. ive never myself liked look of them... let alone the cost :D

re JVC... id err on not using personally ... especially with rooms there is a LOT you can do even in homely settings in my opinion to benefit and end up with a pretty reasonable result / compromise.. so dont have to live with an ALR screen :)

^Yeah ALR screens are brilliant especially when viewed for head on but as you move off to the side the image will start to dull it’s one of the side effects of ALR. An alternative to this is a grey screen, it won’t give the same level of light rejection of an ALR with the likes of lights on viewing though it will be significantly better than a white screen but lights out in the dark it will match the ALR and unlike the ALR you don’t have to be directly square to the screen to enjoy a wonderful image.

I actually bought a Celexon ALR screen and the difference was massive but it has creases which really ruin the viewing experience as the lines can be seen. I was told the creases will "fall out eventually" if I leave the screen extended in a warm room, I have done this for almost 100 hours and they haven't changed so will be returning the screen as soon as the dealer opens in new year. Not sure if there are any other manufacturers that make ALR screens from a thicker material to eliminate the chances of creasing, would be interested in hearing from anyone that has experience using something from different makers

I actually bought a Celexon ALR screen and the difference was massive but it has creases which really ruin the viewing experience as the lines can be seen. I was told the creases will "fall out eventually" if I leave the screen extended in a warm room, I have done this for almost 100 hours and they haven't changed so will be returning the screen as soon as the dealer opens in new year. Not sure if there are any other manufacturers that make ALR screens from a thicker material to eliminate the chances of creasing, would be interested in hearing from anyone that has experience using something from different makers
You’re best solution is a tab-tensioning screen.

Here’s a pic from

You’re best solution is a tab-tensioning screen.
Hi, it is tab tensioned which I thought would eliminate the issue but the dealer said its normal to have creases but because the material is like pvc they will come out but they look more like dents, they have agreed I can send it back under warranty but I wanted to give it as long as possible over Xmas to see if they would come out but they haven't so might look for a used Draper React

Thanks
Yes, ALRs are amazing.
I paired one with a 9400 and with a 9300 and the results are extraordinary.
I have one now in my front room, white walls, white ceiling and the PQ is close to my semi-treated room.

I'd think an N5 should be paired with a room to do it justice but we're frequently seeing JVC PJs in rooms with subpar treatment - white walls, or just a rug and a slightly dark ceiling - lots of performance left on the table for such a high end projector.

Yes, ALRs are amazing.
I paired one with a 9400 and with a 9300 and the results are extraordinary.
I have one now in my front room, white walls, white ceiling and the PQ is close to my semi-treated room.
They really do make a difference. I upgraded my 7400 to a 9400 and the quality is great. I still have my other white screen which I will have to use until I can get a replacement ALR once I return the one I have

They really do make a difference. I upgraded my 7400 to a 9400 and the quality is great. I still have my other white screen which I will have to use until I can get a replacement ALR once I return the one I have
I think most people who have negative opinions on ALRs simply haven't used. one.

Viewing cone is the only big issue IMO but its counteracted by the fact you can use the PJ with the lights on which is insane.

I think most people who have negative opinions on ALRs simply haven't used. one.

Viewing cone is the only big issue IMO but its counteracted by the fact you can use the PJ with the lights on which is insane.
Absolutely, theres only myself and my wife that watch so viewing angle is not an issue. Going to have to return this one and search for a used Draper I think as definitely want to stay with ALR

Absolutely, theres only myself and my wife that watch so viewing angle is not an issue. Going to have to return this one and search for a used Draper I think as definitely want to stay with ALR
I was looking at a tab tensioned celexon a while ago but read that unless the screen is dropped 100% fully you would get waves.

I was looking at a tab tensioned celexon a while ago but read that unless the screen is dropped 100% fully you would get waves.
I also have a Celexon non ALR screen which I was using before. That was tab tensioned and I didn't extend it fully and had no problem with waves. The issue I have now is different, the ALR material is very thin and has creased, and I use this one fully extended

Yeah the tab tensioning is fairly straight vertically. Won't be pulling horizontally much I wouldn't have thought.

That is the one on ebay…
Looks like it hasn't been extended fully either, celexon do state it could go wavy if not, their ALR material is really thin pvc so that could be what is causing those waves, you can also adjust the tightness on these screens. Mine has physical creased running horizontal across the screen.

Attachments

• 20211203_225306.jpg
    20211203_225306.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 97

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom