ALR Screens in treated/semi-treated rooms + Room design advice please

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hey guys,

Buying a new house. Due to the area I'm looking in, they're fairly expensive WITHOUT too many rooms downstairs.

I'm now edging towards making my main lounge the home theatre-ish room. As a single guy, I can kind of get away with it. Open to any design ideas.

Houses I've seen have a room around 4-5m by 5-6m, so not too small.

I've toyed with the idea of semi-treating the room (so maybe dark walls but no velvet felt except around the PJ screen) and an ALR screen to try and further enhance black floor and contrast.

Any advice on any design ideas and if an ALR screen would help?

I'm aiming to put in a 110'' Draper React. PJ wise, I have an old HW40ES but I'll probably dump in a JVC X7900 if I can find a good deal second hand OR an Epson 9400 if I can find a decent deal with warranty.

interested to hear of any design ideas please. :D

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Hi @kenshingintoki - I have a dedicated room and found that painting the walls black (rather than doing full treatment with fabric etc) has worked extremely well, along with a black rug (which made a huge difference in terms of perceived contrast compared to even a dark grey carpet). I’ve used a React screen and it does make a difference but I wouldn’t go off the majority of images from rooms on forums as they make it look like a projector can do jet blacks when none of them can with brighter content on screen. In the defence of such pictures though, it’s quite difficult to get an accurate picture captured. I have a fixed 1.85:1 screen (again much easier in a dedicated room) and mask the black bars for 2.35:1 content so I get no grey/dark grey bands at all - they’re masked so all you see is the image, which makes a massive difference to perceived contrast. I don’t know how you’d do this as effectively with a pull down screen.

All this stuff is much easier though if you have a separate room, as if it’s your lounge, painting in really dark colours everywhere or doing wall treatment for an even greater contrast improvement is pretty unfriendly if you’re doing anything else but watching a film on your projector! Would you consider a garage conversion possibly?

PS I think your HW40 would struggle with a 110” React, especially in 3D.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
If intending to use a pull down screen then maybe you should have a chat with Ricky at Kalibrate, his multi-formate screen might just interest you.

I have a 110'' Draper 3.0 for a good price ready to go electric screen.

Its more how I can design the room to make the living room look nice and modern without it being too OTT.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hi @kenshingintoki - I have a dedicated room and found that painting the walls black (rather than doing full treatment with fabric etc) has worked extremely well, along with a black rug (which made a huge difference in terms of perceived contrast compared to even a dark grey carpet). I’ve used a React screen and it does make a difference but I wouldn’t go off the majority of images from rooms on forums as they make it look like a projector can do jet blacks when none of them can with brighter content on screen. In the defence of such pictures though, it’s quite difficult to get an accurate picture captured. I have a fixed 1.85:1 screen (again much easier in a dedicated room) and mask the black bars for 2.35:1 content so I get no grey/dark grey bands at all - they’re masked so all you see is the image, which makes a massive difference to perceived contrast. I don’t know how you’d do this as effectively with a pull down screen.

All this stuff is much easier though if you have a separate room, as if it’s your lounge, painting in really dark colours everywhere or doing wall treatment for an even greater contrast improvement is pretty unfriendly if you’re doing anything else but watching a film on your projector! Would you consider a garage conversion possibly?

PS I think your HW40 would struggle with a 110” React, especially in 3D.

Thanks. The HW40 is dreadful for 3D and will be replaced by either the JVC 7900 or Epson 9400 temporarily when the time comes.

thanks, do you have any photos of your setup?

I know it is a big ask to make it look living room friendly.. but at the same time, its going to be my most used room for entertaining, music, chilling out... I'd love to have friends over or parties and there be the gigantic projector playing something or my arendals filling the room with music. It seems a bit sad to stuff all my gear into a tiny room and have a large sitting room which will never get used.

Maybe painting VERY dark black near the PJ and then dark grey walls everywhere else could be a compromise? ....

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I have a 110'' Draper 3.0 for a good price ready to go electric screen.

Its more how I can design the room to make the living room look nice and modern without it being too OTT.

Didn’t realise you already had a screen.

The react screen should allow for a less extreme form of treatment than a traditional white screen, I honestly would have thought that a darkish grey on walls and ceiling with a dark rug in front of the screen would be perfect.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Didn’t realise you already had a screen.

The react screen should allow for a less extreme form of treatment than a traditional white screen, I honestly would have thought that a darkish grey on walls and ceiling with a dark rug in front of the screen would be perfect.

Thanks. I was thinking the same. I thought maybe I could go with dark black/felt or something a bit more extreme by the projector but the rest of the room being a less aggressive shade of black.

Do you know how I find out which colours would be good/bad for reflections? I'm guessing all options are better than the colour white on the walls..

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I was thinking the same. I thought maybe I could go with dark black/felt or something a bit more extreme by the projector but the rest of the room being a less aggressive shade of black.

Do you know how I find out which colours would be good/bad for reflections? I'm guessing all options are better than the colour white on the walls..

Matt paint is the one recommendation I can give.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
I used liquorice black paint from Wickes I think - it is incredibly non-reflective but incredibly easy to mark as a result. There are lots of grey shades you could go for with testers. Previously in my room I tried two or three grey paints from Dulux in various parts of the room to determine which was the darkest I thought I could get away with!

beechy06

@kenshingintoki I use a React screen in a living room set up, dark grey on screen wall then light grey elsewhere plus white ceiling, very much your typical living room set up so compromised vs a bat cave but it works great, pictures in my build thread if you want some ideas

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
@kenshingintoki I use a React screen in a living room set up, dark grey on screen wall then light grey elsewhere plus white ceiling, very much your typical living room set up so compromised vs a bat cave but it works great, pictures in my build thread if you want some ideas

Thank you mate. I'll look at ur thread for inspiration ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom