Alpine iDA X305S - Amp remote

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by kingy217, Dec 31, 2011.

1. kingy217

kingy217
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've come across a problem with my HU that I wasn't expecting...

I've run an amp/Sub in my cars and had the same Kenwood 12" sub/monoblock amp set up for the last 8-9 years and its served me well. However, after swapping from a Kenwood HU to this Alpine I've got a problem I wasn't expecting.

When I connected my Kenwood amp (KAC-718 <- told you it was old!) it wouldn't switch on. The remote line was only getting 2.6v I wrongly assumed that the amp had seen better days as I couldn't find any info on line for the switching voltage so my assumption stuck. That was months ago and I've not had enough spare time to look into getting my sub up and running again.

That was until Santa bought be a new Amp. (SSL EV2.1000) Its not the highest quality in the world but as I just wanted a bit of extra noise I figured it would do.

However, after a test install, still no power. After digging about in the manual, it needs a remote switch of at least 3v whereas the HU is only pushing out 2.6v

I'm a bit stumped! I could run a switched cable from the battery and manually switch it but I know I'll forget one day and end up with a flat battery or could perhaps use the power antenna cable on the HU?

Any other suggestions on how you've overcome something like this? The car is a 2003 BMW 330d saloon

good news is that if it can be solved I now have 2 amps and can power up my rear speakers as well as a sub :)

Thanks
    Stu

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. martUK

martUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Have you checked voltage at the head unit? Obviously it should be 12v, have you checked the voltage on both the blue and blue/white wire on the head unit?

3. kingy217

kingy217
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll double check that to make sure but the HU operation is fine and the output voltage for the remote is listed as 2v (suppressed) so it makes sense with what I'm seeing at the amp. I just think its strange that there isn't a "standard" HU output/Amp input voltage as I've now got two different brands of amp both of which need more than 2v to switch...

4. martUK

martUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Where are you finding this info on the 2v output? Every head unit I've ever come access has been 12v out on the remote. Are you sure your not reading something else like the pre out voltage?

5. kingy217

kingy217
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, you are right, in the documentation I was reading the pre-out voltage but I've definitely been measuring the voltage at the Amp end of the remote cable. I checked from remote to earth on the amp terminals and also remote to another earth point on the chassis just in case I have a bad earth.

6. martUK

martUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I would check at the head unit with it disconnected from the amp, you may have a bad connection somewhere so doing at the source would rule that out, hopefully