Alpine CDA-9855R?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by kweller, Mar 18, 2006.

1. kweller

kweller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've just bought an X-Trail and want to replace the 'radio' in it as it's pretty poor.

I'm not interested in spending a large amount of money but I do want something that will play MP3 CDs and interface to my iPod. At the moment I'm seriously considering an Alpine CDA-9855R (http://***********/kuv8v) plus the vehicle display and iPod interfaces. Do you have any good or bad experiences of this unit or is there something else I should be considering?

I realise I'm going to have to do something about the standard speakers as well but haven't thought about that yet.

Thanks.

Kevin

2. cfunk

cfunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been looking at the Alpines for the Ipod and have to say in the 20mins or so I've spent playing with them that the glidetouch is pretty poor. If I could get the 9855R without glidetouch I think I'd go for it but as it is I'm looking at the Pioneer options. The Full speed USB Alpine seems to work well with the ipod but is a pretty limited head unit.

I tried the DEH-P70BT today and it was a very nice unit but the ipod interface could be better. I don't think there is an ideal solution.

I don't really use playlists so find that searching for albums and artists is very frustraiting and think it would be inpractical while driving.

I think I might plump for the Pioneer DEH-P6800MP as a middle ground rather than sink too much into a half useable interface. I'm sure the perfect solution will come along as soon as I install it :D

Cheers,
    Chris

3. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  4. cfunk

cfunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that one on caraudiodirect but can't seem to find it anywhere else? No mention of it on the Alpine site. Not too much info on it anywhere. I'd like to check it out if I can find one somewhere.

5. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    They also do a model now with the direct plug in for the ipod (no need for the adapter box)...CDE-9850Ri.... from what i can remember it's quite cheap too.

6. kweller

kweller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having now spoken to our local dealer, the 9850 is the model they recommended. I'm not sure whether this is a good price or not but they quoted £300 installed - that's certainly cheaper than the 9855 I originally asked about.

7. mng70

mng70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had the 9855 for a while now and whilst I enjoy listening to the unit I dislike the glide touch. It just seems a great idea on paper but in operation (even as a passenger) it doesn't seem to work efficiently. I contacted Alpine Europe recently requesting info for the release of the 9857 (Full speed ipod control and biolite) and it was made clear that the current 9850? is the only full speed unit to be shipped to Europe during 2006. However, 2007 should herald a complete range of the full speed units that are currently available to US buyers. If you can wait then I would. I know I will be in the queue to swap my 9855 for a 9857 when they get released.

8. kweller

kweller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sitting here looking at the Alpine 9850 that I ordered from www.caraudiodirect.co.uk which, including adaptors to ensure the steering column controls still work, cost £236 which is considerably less than the £300 my local dealer quoted for head unit alone.

I'd be feeling smug if only I could figure out how to remove the existing head unit from the X-Trail! (Of course, the local dealer price included fitting). I've Googled and Googled but haven't found anything to help.

Has anyone removed the head unit from an X-Trail who could give me a clue? (it has SatNav fitted if that makes any difference).

Thanks.

Kevin

9. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    you can get a CDE-9850Ri from Halfords in the UK for £199 including fitting.
    I had a play with it in the shop and the spin wheels seems okay, not full ipod speed but pretty good.

Does anyone know if you turn of the ignition will this also power off the ipod, and when you start the car again will it resume play from the same point ?

Its pretty rubbish if you have to reach into the glove compartment each time to start/stop the ipod.

10. kweller

kweller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know [sobs]. I discovered that yesterday after I'd already bought it on-line for £200 (the extra £36 was for the steering column cables).

I now have the facia off and the old head unit out. I've connected all the cables but the unit isn't powering up so I've obviously not connected/mis-connected something. A friend who put an Alpine unit is his X-Trail some time ago is coming round tomorrow to see what I screwed up!

Kevin

11. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    good luck with it, I find fitting things like this really frustrating, it should be really easy, you know you ought to be able to do it, but some how its always harder than you think.

Hope you get it working, let me know what you think afterwards, I'm really tempted by one of these...

12. kweller

kweller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've powered it up enough to know that when you turn the ignition of the iPod pauses and then shuts itself off. When you restart the engine it starts playing automatically from where it left off.

I still have my dashboard in pieces unfortunately as the steering column control adaptor I bought at the same time from Car Audio Direct came with no instructions. The plugs on it are obvious but the three wires with no connectors obviously fit somewhere but I've no idea where. The only way to contact the company is by creating a ticket on their web site which means they'll reply when they're ready and, it would appear, not today :( .

Next time I'll know better and either buy it locally (it would have been cheaper at Halfords) or somewhere that has a 'phone number for support queries.

Kevin

13. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Fantastic, thats exactly what I hoped.

You might be able to send the HU back and get a refund depending where you bought it, or Halfords will fit it for £39 if you get sick of fiddling. I'm sure other garages will fit it too.

14. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Well I just got through installing the headunit this thread originally talked about.

Seems quite good, sound quality is good and easy to use etc. Yet to plug the iPod adaptor in though.

Oh yeah if anyone knows a wire I can take the illumination feed from in an RX7 let me know. The standard harness is wired to the dash dimmer which isn't any use.