Alpine 9833R install in Audi - HELP!

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by JohnDonovanPian, Jan 23, 2005.

1. JohnDonovanPian

JohnDonovanPian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

New user seeking help!

I'm trying to fit an Alpine 9833r head unit with the iPod adaptor into an Audi A6. On 1st attempt I got no life from the head unit at all. I spoke to the shop and they told me that I have to make a connection straight to the + terminal of the battery rather than using the standard plugs which are behind the dash.

I tried to call Alpine to verify this before I do it, but they haven't replied. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? :lease:

Thanks,
    John Donovan

2. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    HI

If your old std unit has approximately the same audio output as the new unit, then yes, its safe to connect to the existing wiring loom.

If the new unit has a higher output, then you need to asses the cable weight that the loom has. If you dont know how to asses this, find someone who does, as you really dont want to overload the cable and start a fire. A good way to check is compare the fuse on the alpine to the fuse in the fusebox for the factory radio. Check to see if the fuse box fuse just says radio or if its shared with other accessories... I really would suggest you ask someone who can give you a safe yes/no.

If the output of the new unit is much higher, I would suggest running a new wire to the battery or to the fusebox, whichever offers a convenient pick up.

I would really suggest you get 10mins of someones time to direct you as you really dont want a dashboard fire...

Your install should work fine with the factory loom to test your new unit, as long as you keep the volume low until you confirm the wiring spec (thus limiting the current consumption).

Sorry if that appears doom and gloom.... saftey first... and this posting is at your own risk... no warranty on what I have just typed.

David

3. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    From what i've read in the past, all 4 x 60w rated alpine units need to be connected directly to the battery, rather than ISO connector. I presume it's just the fact they are more powerful than any other companies head units....

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The Alpine should have an auxilliary power cable attached to the head unit...it should be fairly obvious.

5. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like you do have to connect to the batt directly...as the yellow wire is not in the iso plug....

Unless your driving power hungry speakers and running the system loud most of the time you should be able to crimp onto the original 12v supply in the iso plug.I would however connect to the 12v perm power terminal located on the bottom of the fuse box on the drivers side(it will be marked (its got a thread with a nut on!)) run a decent power cable(fused of course) to the head unit and this should be fine.any more info pm me if you like.

6. JohnDonovanPian

JohnDonovanPian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help guys! I just needed to verify the info before proceeding. The shop had that trying to get me off their back kind of tone.

Thanks again, I'll have a go at sorting it out in the next couple of days.

John D.

7. ado

ado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yes you defo need to wire direct to the battery and also you should need to ground directly to the car
    try to earth using a short a wire as possible.

8. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Interesting...I have a 9835R and it's just connected to the standard wiring on a Ford Probe...which itself has had ISO plugs fitted. Mine works fine tho the dimmer seems to flicker between bright and dim occasionally when it should be dim, I can only assume a loose connection ?

9. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Please let us know how you get on JohnDonovanPian. I'm looking into an iPod/Alpine combo for my A6 and any info and your thoughts on using the system would be much appreciated.

10. JohnDonovanPian

JohnDonovanPian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been driving around for the last few weeks without any music! A friend was going to help me, but has been too busy at work to come round yet. And I'd already taken the old one out.

However, I've got a few days off so will be trying to get it sorted over the weekend. Will let you know how it works out

11. JohnDonovanPian

JohnDonovanPian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally Got it all installed and working yesterday :thumbsup:

Absolutely wicked: Just the novelty of having the contents of my iPod searchable from the stereo is entertaining me before I even press play!

Does sound great too. As I'd heard from other people before, I can confirm that it's not quite as simple a search system as the iPods own. But I think once you're used to it it's not too bad.

I think generally the easiest/quickest way to use it will be to setup various playlists for the car. But searching for stuff by artist was working for me last night.
    The slight problem is if you have a lot of artists/albums etc. - scrolling through them takes a while which if you're driving is obviously not great! i.e. if you're searching for ZZ top at the bottom of a list of 100 artists, it's going to take quite a lot of scrolling to get to it!

Anyway, I am happy with it despite this niggle, I just thought prospective buyers might welcome the info. It sounds great, and I'm looking forward to getting in the car today just so I can play with it.

I had it installed by a shop in the end as I wasn't confident to go fiddling around wiring it direct to the battery. But once installed, getting into the setup and using it was very easy. I've matched the colour illumination to the dash of the car. And setting up the iPod was as simple as plugging it in! The Alpine logo appeared on the screen, and I changed the source on the head unit to Changer, and was able to start playing music straight away.

If anyones thinking about buying one & got any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers for previous help guys,
    John D. :)

12. JohnDonovanPian

JohnDonovanPian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd clarify before I get posts from music critics - I'm not in the habit of listening to ZZ Top! :laugh: