1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpine 1-Din Sat nav in a BMW 5 series

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by AOD, Aug 29, 2003.

1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm considering adding a navigation system to my current car (BMW 5 series) and have been looking at the Alpine 1-Din system.

There are a couple of things that I'm wondering about:

1. How feasible would it be to retain the original BMW head unit and refit this when I come to sell the vehicle?
    When installing the unit I guess they'll have to use a fascia adaptor as the standard head unit is a unique fit jobby.

2. Can I keep the existing BMW autochanger and refit this if the car is sold?

3. Is it possible to get any of Alpine's DVD stuff multi-region, or even R1 rather than R2? 99% of my films are R1 so R2 is really not that appealing to me. I may wish to add a DVD/CD changer in the future.

4. The current unit only has a single tuner so to receive TMC broadcasts you have to be permanently tuned to Classic FM.
    There is an add-on unit (which is anywhere from £229 to £250) that allows you to make "full" use of TMC. In a nutshell, it's another tuner that can stay locked to Classic FM. Rather than purchase this, could I get an Alpine DAB tuner instead and use this to stay locked onto
    Classic?

2. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would seriously suggest to consider an additional system to your unique fit BMW radio. Perhaps something like the VDO MD5000 series. The screen can be fitted in such a way that it does not leave holes in your dashboard.
    The reason being that there are not any facia adapters for the unique fit radios, at least that I am aware of. I was after the same for my jaguar xj and just could not find it.
    The VDO also comes with its own TMC receiver so no need to stay tuned to Classic FM, although smooth classics at 2 is quite good ;-)

You could have the satnav unit connected to the telephone mute so that the radio automatically stops when spoken directions are provided.

Alternatively you could go the pocketpc route, although live traffic information is only available on a subscription basis...

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply.

Fascia adaptors for the 5 series are available, so this isn't a problem. What I'm wondering is whether I could re-install the existing kit when I sell the car and take the nav system to my next vehicle.

Thanks for the hint on the telephone mute.

I'd rather not go down the pocket pc route as I really want the TMC option. Also downloading chunks of maps as you travel strikes me as a pain. Using a Pocket PC you won't get the TMC info or muting of the radio/cd when travelling. To be honest, I'm after the neatest solution with the least amount of hassle. Has to be something that the missus can use with ease!

4. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case, I can see several options:

1. A 1-din system, however the ones I have used are hardly user friendly. Try inputing an address is so incredibly fiddly. Also the reliance on spoken instructions is not very great in my experience. Human psyche is that you want to see the map and on a 1-din that map is tiny. Or perhaps that is more related to male psyche as we tend to ignore our wife's instructions are they always have the 180 degree error (left=right). The ones from VDO and Blaupunkt have a dual tuners, one normal radio and one for the RDS-TMC subchannel.

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2.. A 1-din flip-out screen. I would not recommend the ones from Alpine with the navigation built-in as I understand you still want some form of ice. Again something like the VDO MS6000 has got excellent support for TMC since launch in the UK. Please note that not all manufacturers have map data for the UK available with TMC even though their receivers state it is TMC compatible. Another option for this is the Pioneer AVIC system, has got the option of a touchscreen which is great for simplified input of address information etc. Has got voice control for accepting dynamic routing etc. That is if she doesn't mind talking to a computer. And the added benefit of DVD based navigation which could mean that you have the whole of Europe on a single disc.
    For both the VDO and Pioneer systems, adapters are available to use your existing CD changer. Please double check that the pioneer can do TMC with UK map data as their marketing material suggests it can but when I got the old one from my father from holland their support unit said it was a mistake (but this is over a year ago).

6. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3. I would not discount a pocket pc that quickly. It is actually really user friendly. if you have a bluetooth receiver you don't even need to connect cables when taking it in the car or out. If you go for a walk in a unknown town you can use it on foot as well. Also it is not the case that you have to swap maps. That is only with specific not so good products like Destinator. Alturion has been supporting RDS-TMC since April this year and there is a German one supporting it for over a year. There is a bluetooth combined GPS/TMC receiver available, and the next version of TomTom is also suggested to have TMC support. For the Benelux and Germany countried RDS-TMC is in a much further supported stage and TomTom has got possibilities via using Yeti which is connecting using GPRS to TMC data on the Internet.

7. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is using data from AA travelwatch. Also with CoPilot and Alturion you can plan journeys across borders in Europe without having to change maps.
    An additional very user friendly function of the pocket pc way is that you can use the PocketPC contact manager (outlook) to navigate to address within your address book without retyping them. Hey if you have got a modern phone like the Sony T610 you can all keep it in sync with bluetooth fully automatically. This is very wife friendly.
    Regarding the sound you have got different options:
    1. Don't mute the ICE
    2. Mute the ICE using the sound output of the PocketPC.
    3. Or which is the best, use an FM-RDS modular with an EON enabled ICE head-unit and the radio,cd, cassette,dvd... automatically switches to the pocketpc sound output when the voice guidance want to give you directions. Hey you can even set the RDS name.

8. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to reinstall the kit back into the 5 series. Hey next time order the BMW option. I am not keen on BMW's (which is a whole discussion on it own considering I drive a Nissan Patrol which doesn't fit in any NCP in London...) but my father has one fantastic build in system in his M5.

Maybe there is option 4. Trade in your current BMW 5 series and get one of the new 5 series ones with build in satnav. I just noticed you are in London. It may be worth while checking out the GPS Warehouse which is just to the west on the M3 within the M25. Great stock and knowledgeable people. They can also demo most stuff.

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, that's good to know.

I wasn't the original purchaser so I didn't get to spec the options. I also didn't suffer the initial depreciation either, but that's a topic for another time. :D

Well, I have been invited to the launch party of the new 5 series in Central London. Takes place on September 18th. Could be worth a look.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

10. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit that I do really like the new bmw styling, the new 5 looks fantastic. Hey I got over the image of Nissan so I might be able to get used to the bmw drivers image :devil:
    But to be true my eye is set on a hummer for my next purchase, although is still does not have integrated satnav....

Good luck