1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alphason vs Optimum

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by ginger, Oct 24, 2004.

1. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got experience of these makes of stand?

I'm looking for a stand for an LCD TV and comparing the Alphason AD3-67-LCD and the Optimum LCD8003SL. They are similar sizes and similar prices but I haven't seen either in the flesh so I'd appreciate any feedback from someone who has.

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Optimum do look more luxuriously finished in this range, thicker glass and the poles look slightly more expensive in the flesh.

3. paul812uk

paul812uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about the Alphason but I've just bought an Optimum Fusion AV-FF3 which is in the same range and I'm very happy with it.

4. TCD

TCD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ginger, I am in the same boat as you! I personally prefer the Alphason as it does not have the casters at the bottom, I think they look a bit naff but are usefull if you need to move everything without having to disconnect all your equipment. I have found the Alphason for £170 + £20 delivery. This is pretty damn cheap for this stand as its coming in at £250 at most places!

Before I make my decision and purchase the Alphason I will go back to my local shop and look at them both again following bobbypunk's post!

Good luck!

5. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ginger

I had also narrowed my choice down to these 2. In the flesh there is no competition - the Optimum LCD8003SL wins hands down. In fact I've just purchased one this afternoon! As boobypunk mentions, the glass is 10mm on all shelves and the poles are also flush to the glass. Looks significantly more expensive than the Alphason. Good price below as well.

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/?p=http://www.petertyson.co.uk/optimumlcd8003sl.shtml|p

6. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for the optimum the castors come off them and they are a neater finish espacialy on top where they are flush also the alpason top caps can snap if you over tighten the screws/bolts

7. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps. I did go for the Optimum LCD8003SL in the end - got it from Unbeatable for £179.99 with free delivery (and they had them already in stock). Saw some Alphasons in a shop and thought they looked a bit cheap.

My Optimum arrived today and it looks great. Undecided about the castors but, as you say, they come off anyway. I also liked the fact that it's the slimmest model I could find out there. I've put it in a recess so I wanted something that wouldn't protrude too much and this fits perfectly. I've just got to wait until Tuesday to get my new LCD to put on it!

8. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Good choice. Can't believe the price you paid - bargain! I live in York and actually went to the Optimum showroom to get mine - I paid more than that for an ex-display one from them.