Alphason vs AVF stands?

N1ck

Has anyone compared these two brands?
I’m considering these type of TV stands and was wondering how they compare in fit, finish and more importantly how convincing the wood effect is.

I walked into Currys yesterday to view their range. They have the AVF stands which were good designs but the fake wood looked...well fake, certainly not real veneer they advertise.

mcbainne

Distinguished Member
I have 2 Alphason finewoods stands and they are both excellent, i’ve not tried an AVF but you'll not go wrong with an Alphason

one of each of these

N1ck

Is the brown bit proper veneer or wood effect vinyl, covering, plastic etc? The AVFs I saw were like a sticky packed vinyl.

Kapkirk

I don't know about the AVF brand, I've had Alphason's before and were OK. I just bought an MDA Sirius 1200 from RS and am very happy with it. Went together very well, nice quality fixtures and fittings and looks very nice with my Panny 55" HZ2000. Also comes with interchangeable front wood oak/walnut panels. I wanted a stand that had adjustable mid shelf that I could put my center channel speaker in and although it comes with doors at the front I didn't bother to fit them.
Only niggle was the rear covers which didn't leave a lot of room to feed cables (after i'd assembled it and put it in place) and as long as you don't intend to put a big surround receiver in there it's great.

N1ck

I don't know about the AVF brand, I've had Alphason's before and were OK. I just bought an MDA Sirius 1200 from RS and am very happy with it. Went together very well, nice quality fixtures and fittings and looks very nice with my Panny 55" HZ2000. Also comes with interchangeable front wood oak/walnut panels. I wanted a stand that had adjustable mid shelf that I could put my center channel speaker in and although it comes with doors at the front I didn't bother to fit them.
Only niggle was the rear covers which didn't leave a lot of room to feed cables (after i'd assembled it and put it in place) and as long as you don't intend to put a big surround receiver in there it's great.

Would you rate MDA above Alphason then?

Mr Edwards

I don’t think it’s proper wood. They claim ‘wood veneer’ but most stands I’ve seen are nothing more than a good vinyl. If it was real wood they would cost significantly more.

The Alphason Finewoods range are are proper 'real wood veneers'.....if they were made of solid wood then they would cost a lot more.

Kapkirk

Probably veneer I don,t know, looks and feels like real wood tho.

Mr Andy

I looked at both a few years ago. I went with AVF because the design suited me better. Which model were you looking at? I have the Blenheim, it's oak faced ply. I wasn't happy with the quality of the joins of the first one but customer service was great. After I sent a pic they sent me a replacement.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom