1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alphason TV Stand

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ajp558, May 3, 2003.

1. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

I am considering buying an Alphason TV stand for my 28" TV but hoping to get something which can accomodate a 32" widescreen when finances allow.

I am considering the TV3 range, perhaps the TV3/100, which is only £65.34 at Robinsons - http://www.robinsonselectric.co.uk/tv_stands.htm

Although I much prefer the glass shelves of the TV3/3G (price £85.14) it probably won't be big enough for a 32". Unfortunately the TV3/100 has silver MDF shelves rather than glass. Can anyone comment on the quality of the silver MDF finish used by Alphason, especially as to how resilient it is to scratches & minor dinks (we have a 5 year old). Also, how does it compare to the glass shelves, does it look cheap & dare I say it naff?

I know that Alphason do a lovely all-glass AD3/93S but at £197 from Robinsons (& more elsewhere) it is just too expensive at the moment.

Thanks for any advice,
    Andy.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Nathan, what have you got in the middle section of the Oppli TV bench?

I'm considering buying one but I am also going to be buying an AV receiver soon (eg Denon 3803) and wondered if an amp/receiver will fit in there.

Any advice is welcome!

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lexicon MC-1 in the middle.

Internal dimensions of each shelf is 455mm wide, 255 high, 450mm deep.

I've had a 28" Widescreen TV on top on the left, with plenty of space for kit on right ride. So you've got space for roughly 6 inside the units, and how high you want to stack on the top!

My 42" RP is top of the Oppli, and still plenty of space on one side for the hifi (480mm left over from the width of the RP)

Worked out you'll have 8cm space above the Denon.

5. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Nathan, thanks.

My plasma will be going onto the wall in my new house, and I'm using some of the proceeds from selling my existing flat to get some new gear, including amp/receiver.

Don't really like all the glass / tubular steel jobs - IKEA £50 job much better! (plus don't feel so bad if I have to change it in a year or two)

Also, realised benefit of trolley on castors, and with open rear space, after spending last three years dragging TV unit across carpet and forcing cables through wee holes at the back....

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, castors might not be the best sounding method, but so much easier when plugging in/unplugging stuff.

I think a user called Dom has a Oppli with a Denon AV amp.

7. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Wow, good spot Nathan! Just searched under "Dom " user name and saw a great piccy of the Oppli with "stuff" in it.

What do you mean by "castors may not be the best sounding method"?

Sorry for being "silly".......

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spikes are supposed to isolate the cabinet, whereas castors transmit frequencies into the racking.

Whether or not this is audible, and the difference in price of £55 and close to £350 or more for a metal racking from the major racking makers is debatable.

9. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the AD93-s and it looks the biz.