1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpha integrated amps v's DiVa A65+

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by mhc, Feb 27, 2005.

1. mhc

mhc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

How do the older Alpha integrated amplifiers compare to the DiVa A65+?

Thanks,

Mark

2. mhc

mhc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was it something I said? :confused:

I'm just a newbie trying to figure out the meaning of life, the universe and my hifi :)

3. STIFA

STIFA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thy are basically the same , except for changes in volume control concept and in some components.
    What this means is that diva is alpha with higher price.

:) cheers stifa@eunet.yu

4. Fisba

Fisba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might think they are basically the same , except for changes in volume control concept and in some components... but this is not true. :lesson:

Atleast the Alpha One, 7 & 8 has a Mosfet poweramp technology, while the A65+ & A75 & P75 has Darlington transistors instead. :cool:

What comes to the sound I haven't had the chance to compare them side by side... but I guess the Divas should be better if Arcam bothered to change the technology? :smashin:

- Fisba

5. hossacd

hossacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have a Alpha 9 & 9P bi-amped and have compared them to the diva amps (also bi-amped) side by side to my ears they sound very different. The Alpha is more a smooth warm laid back sound but the DiVas is sharper faster and for me slighty on the bright/clinical side. The 9s also sound more composed at higher volumes.

I prefered the Alpha amps for sound although the divas casing is much better built particulary the front which on the Alpha 9 feels like very cheap plastic, although the chassis is still rock solid.

Your best bet would be to demo them side by side if possible.