• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Alpha 9 Sound issue

Arcam101

Novice Member
I have been given an Alpha 9 and Alpha 9 P. The A9 has a phono module tonwhich I have connect a new Debut 3 turntable. I am getting intermittent cutting out of sound on the left hand speaker. From the CD input, the sound is all clear with no intermittent sound. I do have my setup bi-amped. Suggestions to identify cause? Thanks

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
See the post lower down about the faulty Alpha 7. You might wanna try connecting the cd player to one of the other inputs though. The volume and input selectors go from temperamental to unusable as time goes on it seems so a bit of fiddling about might get it working for a while.

vinceledge

Standard Member
The input selector usually goes on the Alpha 9 - it is a fancy motorised switch - you can have it refurbished for a price, which I did a few years ago and it seems to be holding up, though i have been told the tape 2 input bypasses the selector so doesn't cut out.

wokeye

I had one of these excellent amps for years with an iffy input selector switch. I just did as Vince states, bypassing it and it cures the issue with no impact on sound quality. If memory serves me right, use a phono cable to connect Record Out Tape 1 to Tape 2 In. Then you'll have to use the tape loop selector switch next to the input selector to change sources.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom