Alpha 9 CD skipping :-(

tontoirl

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I love my Alpha 9 cd player and don't want to get rid if it but it's now (for a while) skipping and stopping even on brand new CD's

can anyone help me :lease:

done all the cleaning etc etc etc... :(

Thanks

Tony

Nordost Blueheven Inter connectors
Nordost Super Flatline Speaker cable

Monitor Audio Gold Centre Centre Speaker
Pioneer DV-626 DVD Player
Sony RDRHXD995 HDD/DVD recorder
Marantz SR636 DD Receiver

As you've done all the cleaning you can, it could either do with a good service or the laser is on the way out. Might be worth contacting Arcam to see what their repair charges are like. Sent my amp away to them last year and they fixed all sorts of problems, serviced it etc for £100. Came back as good as new. If it is the laser on the way out, it is probably uneconomic. If this is the case, I have seen some good Arcam CD players on fleabay (eg CD62, CD72, CD82 & Alphas) going for reasonable sums. Might be worth keeping a lookout on the for sales on this forum as well - may be cheaper in the long run? Best of luck with it anyway

Hi
I love my Alpha 9 cd player and don't want to get rid if it but it's now (for a while) skipping and stopping even on brand new CD's

can anyone help me :lease:

done all the cleaning etc etc etc... :(

Thanks

Tony

I'll bet the drive mechanism is on it's way out. I agree with the previous poster: call Arcam. Assuming they have stocks of the drive (or something compatible) I'd be surprised if it was uneconomical to repair. And the Alpha 9 was/is a gem. None of its successors have sounded superior (to my ears) including the CD33, CD36 & CD37.

Good luck!

Andy

Thanks for the replys. I'll email Arcam to see wot they can do.

Any idea what transport is in the Alpha 9? Would I be able to swipe a transport or laser mechanism out of another CD Player????

Thanks

Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom