• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Alot of Memory is used

Dhuper

Standard Member
Hi I've got Win XP, I've got virgin broadband With Virgin PC Guard when I am on-line the PC is constantly working the yellow light is nearly always on everything just slows when I'm surfing, the longer i'm on it the worse it gets, I get a message saying virtual memory is low and then later it freezes, I looked on the CTRL-ALT-DEL and in there in the windows task manager it says PF usage is 282MB and the longer I'm on it it goes to 988MB or even higher , I've got in the Processes these various IEXPLORE.EXE MEM USAGE 58,876, MSIERE.EXE 11,388, RPSUPDATER 10,388, SVCHOST 25,096 and loads more but the iexplore uses more are these using memory all the time? is this normal?

sbowler

My PF usage is 600mb while surging, and with 70 processes running. CPU usage now is around 8%. I have 2Gb of ram.
It looks like you have a reletively small amount of ram, I would upgrade it by 1gig if I were you.

Dhuper

Standard Member
Hi I've got Win XP, I've got virgin broadband With Virgin PC Guard when I am on-line the PC is constantly working the yellow light is nearly always on everything just slows when I'm surfing, the longer i'm on it the worse it gets, I get a message saying virtual memory is low and then later it freezes, I looked on the CTRL-ALT-DEL and in there in the windows task manager it says PF usage is 282MB and the longer I'm on it it goes to 988MB or even higher , I've got in the Processes these various IEXPLORE.EXE MEM USAGE 58,876, MSIERE.EXE 11,388, RPSUPDATER 10,388, SVCHOST 25,096 and loads more but the iexplore uses more are these using memory all the time? is this normal?

Hi the IEXPLORE.EXE is now up to 79,500!!

Zarch

Hi the IEXPLORE.EXE is now up to 79,500!!

With the amount of java applets, adverts, banners and other code in webpages these days its not unusual to see internet explorer take up that amount of memory. So open a couple of these and you can quickly use up lots of memory.

Basically if your PC is using more memory that you physically has then your are going to get bad performance as your box has started paging. (which is bad)

In task manager if your PF usage is showing more than the 480MB of RAM you say you have then you are into paging problems.

The only way to cure this is to put some more memory in the box.

I think you've got 480MB free because you've got an integrated graphics card thats taking 32mb from your system memory.

I would get yourself either an extra 256mb or 512mb, whatever your budget can afford or what is going to give you enough headroom to cure you current memory problems.

Hope that helps?

Zarch

I would also suggest you running adaware, spybot or some other trogan/spyware type software to see if you've got any rogue processes taking up all your resources. (which after re-reading what you say about it rising to upto 900mb, you could have some sort of problem like that)

both the above are free downloads and cure most spyware problems.

blingo

I would also recommend getting more at least 512mb. Even if you got some spare change get a card with some memory on it so you get that 32mb back aswell. You can get a ATi 2400 with 256mb ram for about £25.

Dhuper

Standard Member
With the amount of java applets, adverts, banners and other code in webpages these days its not unusual to see internet explorer take up that amount of memory. So open a couple of these and you can quickly use up lots of memory.

Basically if your PC is using more memory that you physically has then your are going to get bad performance as your box has started paging. (which is bad)

In task manager if your PF usage is showing more than the 480MB of RAM you say you have then you are into paging problems.

The only way to cure this is to put some more memory in the box.

I think you've got 480MB free because you've got an integrated graphics card thats taking 32mb from your system memory.

I would get yourself either an extra 256mb or 512mb, whatever your budget can afford or what is going to give you enough headroom to cure you current memory problems.

Hope that helps?

You're right it is a intergrated graphics card, Virgin PC guard did,nt find any virus, I then tried SpyBot and it found a Double click cookie, but nothing else so I probably do need some more memory, while I am writing this the PF usage is at 298MB and this is the only page open, what sort money am I looking at for 512Mb to be fitted by someone?

blingo

Its very easy to do. Its only 2 clips that holds the memory in and it can only fit one way because of the cuts in the pin. To find out which memory you need open the side panel and take the existing one out it will have a sticker on it to tell you the DDR type and its speed.

If you aint seen what the ram sticks look like before this is what it looks like
http://budgetcomputers.biz/catalog/images/ram.jpg

Here is a pic of how it looks like clipped in
http://www.freebsddiary.org/images/dual-opteron/large/dual-opteron-mb-ram.jpg

Dhuper

Standard Member
Its very easy to do. Its only 2 clips that holds the memory in and it can only fit one way because of the cuts in the pin. To find out which memory you need open the side panel and take the existing one out it will have a sticker on it to tell you the DDR type and its speed.

If you aint seen what the ram sticks look like before this is what it looks like
http://budgetcomputers.biz/catalog/images/ram.jpg

Here is a pic of how it looks like clipped in
http://www.freebsddiary.org/images/dual-opteron/large/dual-opteron-mb-ram.jpg

Thanks for that I'll give a try, you said paging is bad what does that mean?

blingo

I never said that but i think it is. It uses your hard drive like its ram but this is not good because the hard drive access times and speed are alot slower then ram. Some people set the paging file to double the amount of ram they got i dont know why. I keep paging at 512mb i have 2gb ram.

M3ZZR

Standard Member
Page files are actually quite useful, usually windows sets the page file to one and half times the amount of memory you have in your system. Some people find that if they move the page file to a another hard drive in their system which say, they are using just for storage, then some system speeds are slightly increased.

Zarch

Page files are actually quite useful, usually windows sets the page file to one and half times the amount of memory you have in your system. Some people find that if they move the page file to a another hard drive in their system which say, they are using just for storage, then some system speeds are slightly increased.

Useful yes as it allows you machine to carry working even when you've exhausted all your physical memory(RAM). But from a performance angle if your machine starts paging you are in trouble.

Basically you need enough physical memory to accomodate all the tasks your are currently running, once you break this point the page file on disk is then used as virtual memory, but as the extra reads and writes are now to disk rather than RAM things start to slow down.

So make sure you've got enough RAM to accomodate all your tasks. So as you said you went as high as 900MB+ dhuper i'd suggest you get yourself another 512MB.

Hope that explains it a bit?

Dhuper

Standard Member
Useful yes as it allows you machine to carry working even when you've exhausted all your physical memory(RAM). But from a performance angle if your machine starts paging you are in trouble.

Basically you need enough physical memory to accomodate all the tasks your are currently running, once you break this point the page file on disk is then used as virtual memory, but as the extra reads and writes are now to disk rather than RAM things start to slow down.

So make sure you've got enough RAM to accomodate all your tasks. So as you said you went as high as 900MB+ dhuper i'd suggest you get yourself another 512MB.

Hope that explains it a bit?

It sure does, I want to thank all you guys, so the bottom line is I need 512Mb to be on the safe side.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom