1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost time for a new TV. Just got a few questions............

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kilboypowerhead, Sep 19, 2005.

1. kilboypowerhead

kilboypowerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's almost time to pass on the trusty CRT and make the leap to a flat panel.

I've been looking at new TVs in preparation for the 'HD Revolution' next year.
    I've got a few questions that I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable people can help me with.

1. I like to watch pictures as they are with out any stretching/chopping etc. Is it true the black bars you get when you're watching a non 16:9 image will leave screen burn? And does this apply to LCD displays?

2. What would be the best native resolution for a HD LCD set 1280x720 or 1920x1080? As I understand it HD stuff will use both resolutions, so is it better to upscale or downscale? Or is it much of a muchness? Will one resolution be favored more than the other in terms of available content?

Thanks muchly

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    1: The black bars can indeed cause "screen burn" however this does not affect LCD displays, only plasmas / rear-projection CRTs.

2: It all depends on the quality of the scaler, however downscaling should look better than upscaling on most displays. Unless you're going 37" or bigger, your selection of 1920x1080 panels is very limited, and even then, I'm not aware of a single 1920x1080 panel that actually supports a 1080p input.

It really depends on what you're going to be using it for though. If you're buying the display with gaming in mind, I'd say a 720p panel is a much better idea. If you're buying it for HD movies etc when they come out, 1080 is perhaps something to look into so you get the full resolution.

Downscaling tends to hide compression artifacts / flaws in the source (although it's also losing some detail) wheras upscaling tends to highlight artifacts/flaws from the source material.

3. kilboypowerhead

kilboypowerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the screen burn info - looks like it's definitely LCD for me.

I'm thinking of 37" or 42" depending on the quality of the picture. I'm not in a mad rush to get a set yet though as I've got nothing to play in HD. I'm going to upgrade TV and digibox once Sky launches it's HD service.

Are there any proper 1080p sets on the horizon I should be looking out for?

Thanks