Almost there.............

Moondog

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Total noob building a system. Focusing on used, not new. Been lurking for a month, learning, making notes, etc.. So far I've got.

1) Yamaha A-S500 - paid US$140, perfection working condition

2) B&W CM5s + B&W ASW610 Sub - paid US$450... one tweeter cone dented, plus no power cable for the sub that I'll have to pick up. But it sounds good and "think" (??) that was a great deal?

3) Turntable -- ??? -- this is the one I need some help with. I don't want the turntable to be the weak link. Right now I have the cheapie Audio-Technica APLP60 but that isn't going to cut it from what I hear. I'd prefer to search for a good used TT. Based on my system and what the used market usually has available, can you give me a tip on a couple of brands and rough price range I should be targeting? Kinda want to spend like $200-ish.

Thanks a million.
Eric aka Moondog

How do you know the sub sounds good if it has now power cable?

The guy had a similar plug he was using for his new sub that worked with this one. He demo'd it. but didn't want to give up the plug. Considering the price, I was okay with that.

Here is a recent thread on the same subject, the Turntables listed below are above your budget, but are the most commonly recommended entry level turntables -

Question - Turntable to match Marantz Amp & Dali Speakers ?

In summary of that link -

£350 = Project Debut Carbon w/ 2M Red Cartridge

£450 = Project Debut Esprit Carbon w/ 2M Red Cartrdge

£333 = Rega Planar 1 with Performance Pack

£460 = Rega Planar 2 with Performance Pack

Closer to your price range would be the Audio Technical LP120, which is a considerable step above the LP60. The LP120 has Direct Drive and a nice Tone Amp, though a very basic cartridge.

Audio Technica ATLP120USBC USB Turntable - Superfi

Other Low Cost possibilities -

Reloop RP1000M DJ Turntable - Superfi

Lenco L3807 Professional Turntable - Superfi

Lenco L90 USB Turntable with Built in Pre Amplifier - Superfi

Project Essential III A Turntable - Superfi

Project Debut 3 SE Turntable - Superfi

Teac TN300 USB Turntable - Superfi

The Reloop and Lenco are clones of DJ turntables, but more likely have Belt Drives, though keep in mind that most Hi-Fi turntables have belt drive. The others are low end, but still good Hi-Fi turntables, but are getting up there in price.

I would say the surest choice would be the Audio Technical LP120, though all these lower cost turntables come with a low end cartridge. Likely the sound quality of the turntable can be improved in the future with a cartridge upgrade in the range of about £80.

The more expensive turntables listed at the top all come with a cartridge upgrade in roughly that price range.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom