1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

almost ready to purchase...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by micks_address, Jul 15, 2005.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi Folks,

I have my heart set on a Sony HD5 but i'd like to ask a few questions first

1) My PC has about 8GB free space... is this enough?
    2) Using SonicStage can i copy a cd onto my PC - then encode it and put it on the Hd5 and then free up the space on the PC?
    3) What's the best bit rate /atrac/mp3 to use if i purchase?
    4) Does Sonic Stage automatically name track listings/albums? I dont have any mp3's so i'd be using all our own cds... the guy in the sony shop told me the info about tracks is usually on cd's but i have my doubts.. i would have thought you'd need to go off to the net to get track names etc
    5) What size should i buy 20GB or 30GB? I would estimate that we have no more that 100 albums... will i ever fill a 30GB disk? for about 40 euro extra i can get the 30GB version so its very tempting... i like the black colour though and its only in 20gb :(
    6) Apart from cracking buttons is there any preference in getting the black, red or silver versions? the 30GB version is only in silver i think?
    7) should i upgrade the ear phones that come as standard and if so to what?
    8) i intend to use the player in the car a lot... should there be any hassle in connecting it up to the car radio? the unit has a button for auxillary in but unnfortunately no socket on the front... i'm guessing its on the back somewhere... the car is a new honda civic 5 door...any ideas?
    9) do you really need broadband to get the most out of an mp3 player?

Sorry for the list of questions but money is tight so wanna make sure we can get the use out of the player :)

Cheers,
    Mick

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    1) Yes it is, as long as you are running XP (preferrably) and have a don't have a really slow computer. SonicStage is quite system intensive.

2) Yes.

3) I personally use MP3 192 KBs. I think this is a good compromise between sound quality and space. I suggest you stick to using the MP3 format, becuase it is a much more well used format than ATRAC, and if you ever get a different player in the future you won't need to re-rip your CDs.

4) Yes, as long as you are connected to the internet SonicStage will connect to the huge Gracenote database, which catalogues 3,825,667 CDs, and automatically fill out track info when you insert the CD.

5) Up to you mate!

6) Yep, you can only get the 30GB version in sliver, as far as I'm aware. I don't think there are any other differences between the colours.

7) YES. If you want earbuds I suggest either Sennheiser MX 550s or Shures, and if you want headphones I suggest Sennheiser PX 100s.

8) I can't help I'm afraid, maybe look in your car manual or phone customer services or something? I think I'm right in saying that new the Ford Mondeo has a 3.5mm jack in in the glove box, so you maybe have something similar in the Honda.

9) Not at all, if you don't want to download music (which I advise against anyway), then You don't need broadband. However, slightly :offtopic: , but I really do suggest you get broadband anyway becuase you can get it for £15 or so per month now, and it really is way better then dial up.

Hope this helps! :) :thumbsup:

3. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re question 5) As a *rough* example...

if you encode at say, 128, then it takes up approx 1 mb for each minute of music, which gives:

60mb per CD (roughly!!)
    600mb = 10 CD's
    6gigabyte = 100CD's (roughly!!)

if you encode at 192, then you could expect to use half as much space again, so 100CD's would equal approx 9gigabytes.

So your collection of 100CD's would fit easily on the 20gigabyte - you could even encode them at 256 for super high quality and still only use approx 12 megabytes.

But...personally i would spend the extra and get the 30gig model (as you can nevrer have to much space and it seems pretty cheap to get extra 10gig for 40 euros) - but its your call - 20gig will do the job easily for you.

Hope this helps.

4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    thanks lads

one more question... once i have all the cd's loaded on the player.. if i change PC or player in the future.. is it easy to copy the songs off the player onto a new PC - then copy them to a new player? i would prefer to only have to go through the ripping process once if possible :)

cheers,
    mick....

purchasing in one hour... if someone cant talk me out of it...

5. jack190

jack190

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far the 30gig buttons hav'nt cracked as they are different to the rest.

I use the Sony car kit to play my music in the car. It also comes with a power adapter so it charges while its playing.

The track names are downloaded from the net for most if not all cd's.

You cant transfer the tracks off the player to a different mp3 device.

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Can you give a bit more info on this? Does it have a docking cradle? How does it plug into the head unit? Where is it available from?

Cheers.

7. jack190

jack190

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    well lads the deed is done... went for the 30gb version... it has black buttons so i'm hoping the cracking doesnt show up... i have this kind of nervous feeling now... like have i spent my money wisely! and will the device live up to expectations.. and of course should i have bought an ipod... at work about 9 people that sit beside me have ipods.. so i'm the black (well silver) sheep in the office... getting it hooked up to the car is a big thing for me as i'm far to lazy to be taking cd's in and out of the car and they cluter it up very quickly which i've been told numerous times by the missus...

9. jack190

jack190

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had a quick look round and found this:

http://www.ben-johnson.org/blog/archives/2003/07/37/

Looks a bit complicated as it involves removing panels from you dash but I think it what your looking for. Personally I would get some1 to do it for you.
    This guy is installing an ipod but it’s the same for the HD5.

The Black buttons on the HD5 30gig wont crack, as they are plastic. The 20 gig models have a metal finish to the button surface, which is what is cracking.