Almost ready to order Panasonic E95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bk8, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bk8

bk8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone! After researching here I've finally decided to get a Panasonic E95.

As I already have a multiregion DVD player the E95 would mainly be for recording. With that in mind would I be better off with a multiregion or unmodded in terms of reliability or is there no difference?

The standard warranty is 1 year. In people's experience with Panasonics do things tend to go wrong during this period or would I be safer with an extended warranty which costs £99 extra I think.

Lastly I was thinking of ordering from RGBDirect whose name comes up occasionally on the forums. Are they reliable or has anyone had bad experiences with them?

Thanks!

2. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good choice,
    should think they'd be no difference with reliability, i used to get muliregion but found i never used it so now i dont bother, and if you've already got a multiregion player why bother,
    i had an HS2 before my E95 for about a year it was perfect, but i have read of people having problems with some units aftewr about 14 months or two years so it would be peace of mind for £99,
    I was gonna get mine from RGBDirect, never heard anything bad about them, but i found it cheaper at my (fairly) local store, Empire Direct and i could pick it up to save P&P, and you know whats it's like i wanted it yesterday.

3. snibbo

snibbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an E95 multiregion from RGBDirect. No problems with delivery or machine. It's my first experience of a HDD/DVD recorder. I am really pleased with its functions and picture quality.

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I don't understand why everyone seems to want to buy multiregion. And some of the online retailers seem to be responding by only selling multiregion machines. Do that many people really buy region 1 dvds?

The UK Pioneer website specifically states that they only supply region 2 machines and that the manufacturers warranty is invalidated by multiregion upgrades or modifications (see their FAQs).

When I was looking for the best price locally for an E85, RS appeared to be the cheapest, and their website gave instore prices for both region 2 and multiregion. However when I phoned the local RS they said they only ever get multiregion E85s. I asked about the warranty implications and I was told that Panasonic supply multiregion machines to RS. I was a bit dubious so I phoned Panasonic customer service. They said that they only supply region 2 machines, it would be illegal to supply anything else. They said that converting to multiregion would invalidate their warranty. (I phoned RS back and told them what Panasonic said, the person I spoke to insisted they get the machines from Panasonic already converted. So who do you believe?)

I know my warranty is with the retailer in the first place (though reading the small print of some of the online retailers seems to indicate they expect you to rely on the manufacturer's warranty). But if anything happens to the retailer I might need the manufacturer's warranty, and I have no region 1 DVDs anyway, so I decided to play safe and buy a region 2 machine - preferably from a local dealer so I could take it back easily if there was a problem.

If you already have a Barclaycard and you use it to buy your E95 before the end of this month you can extend the warranty for free (by 2 years over £500). Other cards may have a similar freebie, sadly the Barclaycard one is ending.