1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost joined a gym

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by la gran siete, Aug 24, 2005.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    :eek: Reminds me of this song by David Crosby:

http://www.yurope.com/people/sen/prezentacije/Hermor/Methamophorzis/mene/umalo.otsekoh.kosu.html

Very seventies

Dont know what got into me. Must be the fact my missus has developed an obsession with one of our local torture chambers - Esporta to be precise.So I took myself off there and joined for a week( complimentary membership) to see what the fuss was about. The surroundings were very nice and so were the staff which one would expect for a £ 600 + membership annually :eek: :eek: .The surrouindings consisted of a golf course which named itself " Touch of Class". I thought to myself any establishment that calls iteslf that is best avoided. One can imagine the kind of membership: "Residents from the private Willowhayne estate dont you know" The one with an access drive which is barriered with a sign saying "Private estate no through rd" Anyone who is not a resident will be considered a Chav and the dogs will be unleashed, I thought as I drove my rustmobile throught it.
    Anyway the gym has all the facilities one could possibly want: pool ,torture chamber, various classes mostly peopled by women indulging in peculiar physical contortions ,sauna, jacuzi, steam room, toe nail clipping services , the lot.The thing that nags me is the torture chamber which is by far the most popular section. I mean you have this huge room full of contraptions that make your body go faster or lift abnormally large weights and all the members seem to go at it hell for leather almost like they were trying to purge the sins of the day/weekend. "Had a good weekend? Now suffer" And they do it willingly?????????????????????. There is , of course , no conversation because you have to focus on pain. Thats what you are paying your £600 for.Geddit? Nevertheless one wag sidled up to me and asked " are you enjoying it?" "Errr tell you at the end of the week" was my reply, knowing that an honest answer would have drawn a disappproving response.Thing is I dont do excercise, apart from work the only effort I've expended is raising a glass of Malbec to my lips or a pint of London Pride, that and rolling a few "numbers" (but that was many years ago). There is, though, a streak of puratinism running through British society which embraces the concept of physical torture and austerity but I have yet to find myself to be a willing participant.Rather get bladdered! :D

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I goto the gym 4 times a week and really enjoy it. :D

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    LGS, excersise makes you feel good, being fit makes you feel good, the scientific proof is readily available to all..?
    If you don't believe the science, try carrying 14lbs of ballast with you everywhere you go for a week, and then see how much easier your life is without it.

For me, and most of my mates at the gym, it's got nothing to do with puritanism, nothing to do even with appearance, it's about feeling good (literally) and enjoying life more..
    It takes some hard work, and a fair amount of pain, but getting yourself in shape is well worth it. Once you pass a certain point it actually does become enjoyable, physically, mentally, and socially too...to the point where you actually make yourself miserable if you miss a couple of sessions in a row..

I do a two hour 'torture' session every other day if i'm up to it, (I used to do a lot more before my accident), and that is what i'm working back towards.

Torture for me is not even being able to lift a beer with one arm at the moment, not being able to run any more (I was damn quick), not being able to carry my golf clubs... it all depends on your perspective...
    I want my life to be as easy and enjoyable as possible.. for me at least, that means primarily no physical limitations on what I can do, where I can go, how long I live... :confused:

4. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    ..............it was meant toungue in cheek ,Dude. My wife derives great benefit from it and goes every day. I shall probably join myself although I think on balance I prefer the local David Lloyd centre as its nearer and boasts an outdoor pool as well . Its just watching some of the other guys putting themselves through it which made me think of words like torture ,masochsism and puritanism(plus the fact there was precious little communication) .I think they were doing too much. I f I did what they did I'd end up with injuries. No thanks! :) . Ive also stopped drinking ( for now :D)
    and follow a more sensible diet although the irony is that since I made my lifestyle changes I've developed the mother of all colds :(

sorry about the OP, its just my sense of humour :)

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,750
    I'm not really one for going to Gyms and having to put up with the poser element who stand and look at themselves in the mirror most of the time !
    What I'm doing now on my latest fitness campaign is to get up an hour earlier every day and go for a brisk walk for an hour (including a 1 mile up hill bit right at the start of the walk). This gives me a good feeling for the working day and then after work I'm doing 25 minutes hard pedalling on an exercise bike. This routine is making me feel better in myself and also is making me eat better stuff. I've also not had a drink for 3 and a half weeks so am starting to lose weight :)
    Once I've lost a bit more I will start to include a few press-ups and crunches to try and firm up.

6. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I always carry 14 pounds of ballast with me,thats why my trousers dont fit. :)

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    It's that drinking bit that's the tough bit in my experience....i can either drink nothing or lots but struggle with anything in between! ....it's just so moreish!! :D

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've just gotten back from a 2 hour session at my local gym and feel better for it. I try and go twice a week at the moment - Wednesday and Sunday morning for an hour or two neither of which are enormously taxing. I agree with what The Dude says in that it's not necessarily torture but genuinely good for you in every way (unless it's full of people who are obviously body-building and laugh at my scrawny body which is very rarely).

Rather than
    I really like the focus and time to myself that it provides, most people probably spend more time sitting motionless on the equipment than actually doing anything with it! :laugh: It's for that reason that I go out on my bike for an hour or so most days - in a loud world it's nice to have a few hours to myself to concentrate and think about things.

Having said that, the £600 club that you visited doesn't sound right for me at all - try and find a more low key gym which would probably suit you better. Or just go out for long walks or cycle rides and see what you think. :)

The crucial part for me is I'd rather do some exercise than cut down on my substantial food and drink intake. :beer:

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    which one do you go to EJ?.......I joined the one at the golf club (as i play golf there already....well sort of) but haven't been yet!

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Just at the leisure centre. I get half-price entry with my old student card :D although I'll probably be cutting down if I ever find a job. :rolleyes:

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, I work out a bit, do some boxing (well, got punchbags etc in the house) and walking...but at times, it can be hard to get motivated....just wish I could get into a routine again...

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,750
    The motivation for me is that all my clothes seem to have shunk over the last few months ;)

13. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, my waist is getting a little bit bigger too....it's a slippery slope!
    !

14. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Joined a Holmes Place gym at the beginning of the year and love it. Typically go 5-7 days a week.

It was mainly for getting fitter and developing my frame that i joined it, but one of the other benefits i've found is a can eat more without incurring flab.

Which is nice!

15. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    yep... me too. I think I'm around the same as John (40+) and I was feeling completely knacked most days. No energy, couldn't sleep all that great, Duff diet blah, blah, blah.

I bought a piece of home gym kit called 'Total Gym' (don't laugh). It was recommended by a mate who's done the whole gym/fitness bit over the years. Fantastic piece of equipment - cheap, easy to set up, and only takes up a smallish space. And it work on resistance to your own eight, so even my kids can use it safely

At the moment I do 3 days gym work and 3 alternate days on my bike for some cardio workout. Only about 30 mins a day.

The result? I feel much fitter - my waistline is dropping and I've even put some muscle on in places. I just need to cut down on the alcohol a bit more though ... which is the hardest part. :(

16. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    that's the beauty for me too... the more you eat, the more you can train.... and the more you train, the more you can eat.

the only positive chicken/egg scenario I've ever come across in my life... :devil:

EDIT: LGS, I hadn't taken offence or anything mate :) , I was just squaring-up the argument as always.... ;)

I go to the david lloyds near me too... it's a much more laid back atmosphere due to the outdoor pool and all the tennis/badminton types hanging around the place... you still get a few 'freaks' around, but nowhere near as bad as other places I've tried...

17. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    I didnt think you'd taken offence Dude , its just my sense of hunmour can be a bit caustic at times.

Having said that, the £600 club that you visited doesn't sound right for me at all - try and find a more low key gym which would probably suit you better. Or just go out for long walks or cycle rides and see what you think. I

Its actually ok really. Offers several classes such as Tai Chi ,Pilates, Yoga and all the regular cardio ones too.The main fitness room is simply cramped full of appparatus of all descriptions . In a way it reminds me of being in tube train where passengers avoid conversation or ,even, eyecontact. The only difference being a great deal of energy expenditure. I didnt see any Mezamorphs there, just regular people some with weight problems like me.
    Mezamorphs go to the local Chav gym.
    I think I'll stick with D Lloyd :)

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I am a qualified instructor and a bodybuilder I have been training for over 14 years. At my heaviest weight I was 18.5 stone and used to train with world power lifting and british bodybuilding champions. In fact at the age of 22 I had the unoffical british record for the bench press. The record was 220Kg with a bench shirt, I had achieved 230 without a benchg shirt for 6 reps not 1. Unfortunately I put my hand through a window 2 weeks before the comp and I ended up with 47 stiches and no training for 4 months. :(

I dont train like I used to as I have a company to run but I am still around the 17+ stone mark. I am hoping that after this summer i will have a bit more time to train as the winter period is the quietest time for my buisness.

My measurements at my peak were 54.5" chest, 33" thigh, 34" waist and 20" arms. I will always train as long as I am alive. You either love training or hate it. I love it.

My favourite types of gyms are the spit and saw dust ones. I dont like the fancy fitness ones.

:)

19. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    'Roid Rage? :D

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

In a nut shell yes. :oops:

21. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    I've got 1 x 27" thigh and 1 x 22" thigh.... try beat that!! :D

with matching (mis-matching) glutes too.... any glute-specific tips razor? the leg is growing back nicely, the glute-muscle is FUBAR basically...:mad:

22. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    not good for you are they? :confused:

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    :hiya:
    All depends on how you use them (type, dose, period of time on them, cycling on and off etc). There are over 80 different types of steriods.

Steriods makes you body more efficient, you carry more blood, heal quicker, absorb more protein etc. Steriods is a complex subject and there is loads to know before you start experimanting. :thumbsup:

24. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    So they got a lot of unnecessary bad press then? I read about people dying ,vital organs collapsing, heart problems allsorts :confused: But apparently there are BBs who never use them and seem to do fine without them. They use creatin instead.Must be possible becaues some of those rugby players are fairly massive and they cant use them at all.

25. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,750
    I worked with someone who died aged 20 through taking steroids for body building purposes, very sad.

26. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
  27. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Anabolic steriods are the ones to watch out for. I take steroids everyday. In my inhaler :D

28. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    asthma

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

You get 2 different types of Body Builders, those that use them and those that dont. I can spot the difference straight away. You just cant achive a certain look without them. Its like racing F1 with a metro.

Creatinje is a good natural suppliment which I have used many times. Most BB use this on their off cycles to hold onto as much mass as possible. Creatine is no good pre show as it makes the body hold to much water.

Protien intake is key if you want to put on muscle you should aim for 1gram per 1lb of body weight.

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

These tales are rare as many BB and non BB use steriods to enhance their performance. You can buy steriods leagally over the counter in Europe, India and the middle East.

Most of my mates are bodybuilders or powerlifters and non have died as of yet. Anything can kill you if you abuse it.

This bloke wasnt called Andy? Was this approx 5 years ago?