Almost impossible to get PAC code from Three Mobile

djchapple

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have decided to leave Three Mobile mainly due to signal strength issues. My previous contract terminated on 27 December 2021

So I tried

1. Texting PAC to 65075 - doesn't work. All I get back is "oops, something went wrong!"
2. An on-line chat but after just over an hour I had got nowhere, so I just gave up.
3. Phoning 333 from my mobile and it took nearly 35 minutes before I could convince the operator that I DID NOT want an upgrade, I DID NOT want full details of all the possible offers that were available to me. At long last after being on hold for about 10 minutes I was told that I would get my PAC but his would take FIVE working days, sometime around Monday 10 January.

I appreciate that times are difficult but issuing a PAC should just need a simple computer operation and the transmission of an email. something easily automated?

Do you get such appalling treatment from other mobile providers?

Just send PAC ddmmyy - replace with the date of birth of the account holder. Worked for me just before Xmas.

Eg PAC 140372

That's what I did but it came back with an error message. I have tried about 20 times over the last two days.

Strange. All I can say that for me (so far) has been a simple and painless process.

Have you tried logging into to your My3 account it supposed to be available from there as well

I also had a real struggle to get a PAC code from Vodafone at the beginning of December (Talkmobile also use the Vodafone network) with similar issues highlighted by the OP. I moved to Talkmobile for a cheaper deal plus they still retain an element of international roaming charges in the EU which Vodafone do not! Obtaining a PAC code should be straightforward with just a text message to obtain it.

Perhaps we need to complain to Ofcom (or which ever regulator covers telecommunications)?

I've just tried with the line I run with Three and the text method is still down.
I would advise when phoning for a PAC to say "Please can you supply a PAC for this account as I have signed a new contract with 'insert other network' and I want to take this number". Then just be polite but insistent that you are leaving and there's nothing that they can do to change your mind.

I went on mythree app on my phone, clicked I want to leave, and got issued a pac code instantly, literally within 1 minute of being on the my three app, simplest it's ever been and I was actually impressed how easy and simple it was, they sent a text straight away with my pac that is available for 30 days, but you can go on there and extend it too

My wife and I have just spent slightly over 2 hours talking to very nice staff at Three in order to get our PAC codes.

Eventually one of the support staff investigated further and found out the probable cause of the difficulty. Just over 2 years aga both of our accounts were hijacked and transferred to Vodafone without our knowledge. Three quickly resolved the problem and gave us new SIMS, Unbeknown to us they added another layer of security making it very difficult to make changes on line - thus making a phone call necessary.

If we had known about the increased security it would have made things easier for. However they were only trying to protect us so it's not all bad.

I have decided to leave Three Mobile mainly due to signal strength issues. My previous contract terminated on 27 December 2021

So I tried

1. Texting PAC to 65075 - doesn't work. All I get back is "oops, something went wrong!"
2. An on-line chat but after just over an hour I had got nowhere, so I just gave up.
3. Phoning 333 from my mobile and it took nearly 35 minutes before I could convince the operator that I DID NOT want an upgrade, I DID NOT want full details of all the possible offers that were available to me. At long last after being on hold for about 10 minutes I was told that I would get my PAC but his would take FIVE working days, sometime around Monday 10 January.

I appreciate that times are difficult but issuing a PAC should just need a simple computer operation and the transmission of an email. something easily automated?

Do you get such appalling treatment from other mobile providers?
I'm living through that issue today. The website is nearly as bad as Virgin and that's not fit for purpose. Used the site and after the chatbot waste of time I spoke to a human who didn't have a clue how to sort it. Time wasted, 15 minutes. Told me to ring. I did. All sorts of problems. Could find this or that. They directed me to the Debt collection agency they employed to collect the fees after cancelling the account three times on the phone. They should be hung, drawn and quartered like Guy Fawkes. Still don't have my PAC, so they're in trouble.

I'm living through that issue today. The website is nearly as bad as Virgin and that's not fit for purpose. Used the site and after the chatbot waste of time I spoke to a human who didn't have a clue how to sort it. Time wasted, 15 minutes. Told me to ring. I did. All sorts of problems. Could find this or that. They directed me to the Debt collection agency they employed to collect the fees after cancelling the account three times on the phone. They should be hung, drawn and quartered like Guy Fawkes. Still don't have my PAC, so they're in trouble.

I thought recently a rule came in saying that al networks must hand over the PAC whenever asked, not like before when you used to have to jump through flaming hoops to get it.

Just came across this thread and let me tell you my wife was with the Three network and took her weeks to get a pac code. Every time she sent a pac code request an instant reply informed her the number she was using was not associated with an account, although they did not mind taking her money to top up the account! on the mobile. She was on a pay as you go sim paying 30p a minute for calls. In the end told her to complain to ofcom, which she did. ofcom gave Three a time limit to supply a code and they still did not comply. In the end it was another two weeks or so before sending a code, mainly due to ofcom losing patience and threatening more severe action. Talking to individuals at the call centre in India I think, was like pulling teeth and all they would do is escalate the problem with another department. This is what happens when companies try to save a buck and send contracts overseas?.

Ofcom don't investigate individual complaints, so how did they get involved?

Also, the right to a PAC is only if you can demonstrate you have the right to that number. A provider can choose what they'll accept. Some ask that the number is registered (set up an account). Others will ask what the last few top ups were. Others will ask for numbers that have recently been called.

Ofcom don't investigate individual complaints, so how did they get involved?

Also, the right to a PAC is only if you can demonstrate you have the right to that number. A provider can choose what they'll accept. Some ask that the number is registered (set up an account). Others will ask what the last few top ups were. Others will ask for numbers that have recently been called.

Did I mention that ofcom got in touch with Three quoting this individual case, they probably told them to get their act together in issuing pac codes in a more timely manner after my wife complained. My wife got emails from ofcom updating the situation until it was resolved. Let me tell you without ofcom she would probably still be trying to get a pac number!. I almost feel that you are calling me a liar?, and if what you quoted is correct then nobody would be issued a pac code.

Left 3 two weeks ago, super easy change over.

Left 3 two weeks ago, super easy change over.

I am sure many people do not have any issues when requesting pac codes but the fact of the matter is sometimes mobile companies seem to dig their heels in for some reason.

I am sure many people do not have any issues when requesting pac codes but the fact of the matter is sometimes mobile companies seem to dig their heels in for some reason.

As I said above, I thought networks simply can’t “dig their heels in” anymore, and were obliged to give the PAC code upon request? It went on for years and years, being a mission to get a PAC code, but I was under the impression that things have changed now, clearly not then?

As I said above, I thought networks simply can’t “dig their heels in” anymore, and were obliged to give the PAC code upon request? It went on for years and years, being a mission to get a PAC code, but I was under the impression that things have changed now, clearly not then?
With Three, like a lot of companies nowadays I think, when everything works as it should, like it does for the vast majority of their customers everything is great, but any kind of problem, pac codes, account issues, stolen phones, trying to leave, etc, you quickly realise they don’t really have any customer service, the only option that seems to do anything is making a official complaint, and again it can take complaint after complaint to get anywhere, even something as simple as getting a return bag or getting a label emailed so you can return a broadband router, the Three community forums are full of such stories.

Did I mention that ofcom got in touch with Three quoting this individual case, they probably told them to get their act together in issuing pac codes in a more timely manner after my wife complained. My wife got emails from ofcom updating the situation until it was resolved. Let me tell you without ofcom she would probably still be trying to get a pac number!. I almost feel that you are calling me a liar?, and if what you quoted is correct then nobody would be issued a pac code.
I'm not calling you a liar. I think it's possible that your understanding of what's happened is mistaken.

It's very easy for anyone to check that what I said is true.

Also, did you know that Ofcom aren't in charge of porting. See mnposg.org.uk

Subject to the conditions set out in the porting rules then a PAC must be given.
The main ones are:

The person requesting must have the right to request the transfer, that is prove it's their number. (Other wise you end up with SIM swap fraud)

There must be only one line on the account and not packaged with another service (otherwise a call or online code is necessary because an explanation of the consequences of porting must be given. For example, if you port you'll lose the 10% multi line discount etc)

It must be a consumer with a normal consumer line.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom