Almost Famous Bootleg Cut

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by JSW, Mar 20, 2002.

1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
  2. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Agreed, excellent film - I haven't upgraded to the BC (yet!)
    Any film with 3 Led Zeppelin tunes in the soundtrack is OK by me.
    :D
    Does the extra material in the BC add significantly to the film?

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Havn't watched the film just yet.

I got it delivered this morning and have only had chance to listen to the music cd and watch some of the extras like the music video's 1 on each dvd, the trailer, some other stuff which was shot on dv.

The Bootleg version is 35 mins longer than the theatrical one.

The bootleg version is only in dd 5.1 whereas the theatrical one is in dd5.1 and DTS.

I wont get a chance to watch the films till the weekend and i will update this post after i have.

Cheers
    JSW

4. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    shame its not DTS but then I guess that goes without saying really.

Really enjoyed this movie (non BC). Thought it was going to be a 'sunday afternoon' movie but found it quite thoughtful and unexpectedly funny and thoughtful at the same time.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its a great package....it is a shame that BC isnt dts, but the DD track is quite acceptable!

ad

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    I did quite an indepth review of the movie as an example for Tee, I will now be adding a few reviews every month to his site which is done just for the love of the films and no financial gain. This review was never published on tees' site due to the fact he has already reviewed it himself but here you are, I'll post it here.

Almost Famous - untitled.

What?

Almost Famous is Cameron Crowes' semi-autobiographical look back to the people,places and feelings of a 15yr old rock journalist. When Crowe was 15 he did infact write for Rolling stone magazine, and met many rock legends along the way, including The Allman Brothers, Peter Framton and Led Zeppelin to name just three. Almost Famous is his look as writer/director to these times and music, and shows the love he holds for this period in time.

William Miller (Patrick Fugit) is Crowes on-screen persona, the year is 1973, and Miller is a talented and gifted student and is growing up slower than his classmates. Things come into the open when Millers' mother (Frances Mcdormand) reveals to him in the back seat of their car, that he is indeed just 11yrs old and skipped a few grades. Days later Millers' sister leaves home, tired of their Mothers strange outlook on life and hate of rock music, and leaves Miller all her Records under his bed.

From this moment on Miller becomes wrapped up in the world of Rock music and legends, and begins to write about his love for Music. Whilst 15yrs old and writing for Cream magazine he becomes good friends with the legendary Lester Bangs (Phillip Seymour Hoffman), who becomes his mentor for the things to come in Millers Adventures on the road.....

This has to be the most enjoyable film I have seen in a long time, from brilliant performances from it's amazing cast, to tear jerking moments of real class. This movie has it all and easily gets a top five rating for it's heart warming look at the Rock world from the eyes of innocent Miller. The legendary Penny lane (Kate Hudson) a Band Aid - "Not A Groupie!"- takes Miller under her wing, and guides him through this new world of Glam and excitment and they become soul mates, joined by a love for the music.

And then we have the band "Stillwater". Headed by Guitarist Russell Hammond (Billy Cudrup) and vocalist Jeff Bebe (Jason Lee) They are a band based on an amalgamation of all the bands Crowe toured with during his teenage writing years. They capture the excitement of performing live and also the jelousy that could finish them as a band.

You begin to fall in love with all the characters and Millers' eyes become your own as you travel through 1973 and the ups and downs of the Friends on the road, the love of the music, and the people who you meet on the way.

Ladies and Gentlemen this is film making of the highest order.

Optics:

Both Versions of the movie in this edition (theatrical and Untitled) are presented in Anamorphic 1.85:1 and are both pristine transfers. The bright colours of 1973 are natural and crisp, and there is plenty of detail in the image to enjoy. There are no signs of grain in the print, and you are hard pressed to find any difference in picture quality between the two versions. The newly added scenes of Untitled are the same quality as the day they were struck. This is a near perfect transfer and should act as a bench mark for other DVD releases. Even on my 7.5ft review screen, front projected, the image is flawless!

Sonics:

First of all it is disappointing to find that only the theatrical version of the movie has a dts soundtrack. That is not to say that the Dolby Digital track is bad, because it is far from it, but the dts version just has the sweetest bottom end. The "live" sections of the movie come to life in both mixes, but that bass drum kick in dts is just so sweet. Vocals are never lost in the mix, and some very nice ambiant effects make the whole thing sound natural. And I must confess I never thought I would ever listen to Elton John, but his "Tiny Dancer" track used to bring the band together on the road is just sublime!

Extras:

This version of the movie is a three disc set. The first disc contains the Untitled-Bootleg cut of the movie which adds 35 minutes back to the film. If a lover of the movie, then this cut adds so much more to our favourite characters and just makes the whole thing so much more indepth and enjoyable. Also contained on Disc 1 is a commentry by Director Crowe, his production crew, and of course His Mother! This is one of the most enjoyable commentries i have heard, and the interaction between Crowe and his Mother are at times Hillarious.
    Further to all this are an Interview with the Real Lester Bangs, Original Rolling Stone articles by Crowe, His top ten albums of '73, and a look behind the scenes.

Disc Two has the Theatrical version of the movie, Stillwaters Cleveland concert, deleted scenes with commentry by Crowe, The entire screenplay, a trailer, cast and crew Bios and production notes.

And finally disc three is a CD containing six songs by the fictional band Stillwater. This is 2 channel pcm and includes the tracks Love Thing, Chance apon you, Love comes and goes, Hour of need, You had to be there and Fever Dog.

Well?

Many people will have gone out and bought the original release of this movie on either R1 or R2 DVD. So is it worth getting this Set? The simple answer is YES! If you love the theatrical version of this movie, you will be blown away with the Untitled-Bootleg cut even more. The extra time we spend with our favourite characters adds so much to our understandings of them, and we get to see things like the radio interview that are downright Hillarious!

I love this movie so much that I have even gone and bought the soundtrack. I love movies that really do take us to another world and time, and let us forget our boring lives for 2 or so hours. This is a masterpiece of film making, and Crowe presses all the right buttons with this movie. A must own disc!!

Best Line:

William Miller " I have to go home"
    Penny Lane " You are home"

Specs
    Studio : Dreamworks
    Optics: 1.85:1 Anamorphic
    Sonics: Disc one DD 5.1 Disc Two DD/DTS 5.1 Disc Three PCM 2.0
    Extras: Disc one
    Directors Commentry: Interview with lester Bangs: B-sides-Behind the scenes: Original Rolling Stone articles with intro by Crowe: Crowes top ten albums of '73: Music Video.
    Disc two
    Theatrical version: Stillwaters Cleveland Concert: Deleted Scenes with Director commentry: Screenplay: Theatrical Tralier: Production notes: Cast and Crew Bios.

Running Time: Untitled cut 2hrs42 mins Theatrical cut 2hrs 2mins

Ratings
    Optics: Both versions 5
    sonics: DD 4.5 dts 5
    Extras: 5
    Overall: 5

7. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for that; Looks like I'm going to have to get this now...

Still, I only paid about £7 off ebay for my R1 'normal' copy. I take it that the standard version I have which is dts is identical to disc 2 of the bootleg cut package?

8. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    unbelievable movie watched it half a dozen times

crowe also likes quality bands e.g"PEARL JAM "these contibuted to the soundtrack(stillwater)and also singles,which is also class.
    think ill whatch it again this weekend:D

cod

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Just seen it for the first time on Sky tonight, and it was a great film.

Really enjoyed it. Took me by surprise. One I'd recommend to everyone.

So if you haven't seen it yet, get a copy and enjoy it.:)

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Me too! Absolutely brilliant film, really loved it! I presume theat was the non-bootleg version?
    I have seen the DVD really cheap somewhere, I will definitely be picking it up now. Kate Hudson: :eek: :kisses: :devil: nuff said!

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I bought Almost Famous Untitled Director's Edition R2 in Woolworths Blackpool for £10 in July, both versions of the film are DTS.

12. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    the first stillwater track (fever dog) in DTS is awesome! turn it up and your neighbours will think they live next to a stadium! its one of my favs for system testing.

Gary

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the directors and bootleg are different.......but im sure you knew that. The bootleg is about 3 and a bit hours long (about an extra hour or so) so that should tell you if sky showed it or not...

ad

14. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    the boot leg is 155 minutes long and the standard version is 118 minutes (pal versions that is)

Gary

15. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thats what i meant.......NTSC is basically the same

ad

16. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    CD-WOW are doing an "Ultimate" edition 160mins, 2 disc, anamorphic for £7.99!! :)

17. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    and dont forget HMV (Reg 2) had an exclusive pack on this with both versions of the movie being DTS..:) (still haven;t watched that version yet). I assume the same as the one gringotts has, so not sure how it got into Woolies..;)