Almost Famous 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

samdavies

Distinguished Member
Wait, so it's the theatrical cut + extras on the 4K disc and the bootleg cut on the blu-ray in the standard UK release?

The back of the amaray stock image (which may evidently be wrong) suggests it's the other way around, with the bootleg being the cut of the film that's on the 4K disc.

Screenshot_20210713-105058_Chrome.jpg

kahlua

brilliant copy should be here tomorrow,cant wait. thanks

KDA

Novice Member
Wait, so it's the theatrical cut + extras on the 4K disc and the bootleg cut on the blu-ray in the standard UK release?
I think so too. No UK reviewer has picked up on this, or mentioned that the packaging is unclear. I've ordered the HMV Cine edition which has the Bootleg cut on a second 4K disc....

Last edited:

samdavies

Distinguished Member
I think so too. No UK reviewer has picked up on this yet, so I've ordered the HMV Cine edition which has the Bootleg cut on a second 4K disc....
Yes i noticed the cine had the bootleg in 4k, as does the US steel. I was tempted by both, but one or other will be a necessity if the amaray is indeed 4K theatrical only.

KDA

Novice Member
but one or other will be a necessity
It's been an on-going problem with longer 'director's cuts' - but we always got them when only Blu Ray discs were available, so why can't we have them 'as standard' on 4K? This is particularly for well -regarded longer cuts. 'Doctor Sleep' is a recent case in point - a much better longer cut, but not available on a 4K disc...

mike7

Distinguished Member
There's obviously some mileage in shooting on 35mm film stock rather than video cameras.

samdavies

Distinguished Member
It's been an on-going problem with longer 4K 'director's cuts' - but we always got them when only Blu Ray discs were available, so why can't we have them 'as standard' on 4K? This is particularly for well -regarded longer cuts. 'Doctor Sleep' is a recent case in point - a much better longer cut, but not available in 4K...
Oh yeah, it's often been the case since 4k began. One could argue it happened back earlier in the life of blu-ray as well though.

Most of the time it's just the the longer cut isn't available on a 4k disc though, whereas it is here. So props to paramount/sony for doing that. It's just the case that the longer cut 4k is apparently not inc with the standard release, which again isn't exactly uncommon practice either.

sterobktulu

Bit annoyed this doesn't seem to be released on separate blu-ray.
Still got the boot-leg cut on DVD, was hoping to upgrade:(

Lateralusuk

The back of the amaray stock image (which may evidently be wrong) suggests it's the other way around, with the bootleg being the cut of the film that's on the 4K disc.

View attachment 1541199
I've got the standard UK edition and the 4k has the bootleg cut and a commentary with the theatrical and extras on the blu ray (excuse the glare on the TV pic lol). I was tempted by the HMV cine edition but went for standard in the end as I would only ever watch the bootleg cut as it's the superior version

Attachments

• PXL_20210713_132638409.jpg
    PXL_20210713_132638409.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20210713_132757608.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210713_132757608.MP.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 72

Lateralusuk

I've got the standard UK edition and the 4k has the bootleg cut and a commentary with the theatrical and extras on the blu ray (excuse the glare on the TV pic lol). I was tempted by the HMV cine edition but went for standard in the end as I would only ever watch the bootleg cut as it's the superior version
And just for confirmation here is the blu ray that is included with the extras and the title indicating the theatrical version

Attachments

• PXL_20210713_133243330.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210713_133243330.MP.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20210713_133412870.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210713_133412870.MP.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 73

KDA

Novice Member
I've got the standard UK edition and the 4k has the bootleg cut and a commentary with the theatrical and extras on the blu ray
Brilliant news - but I wonder why the front cover of the packaging doesn't say it is the Bootleg or Extended Cut you are buying in 4K - it would have sorted out a lot of confusion (and I wouldn't have ordered the Cine edition...)

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Now I'm really confused. :p
Is the "standard" 4K release just the bootleg cut with the theatrical on bluray? Or vice-versa?

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
I think a part of the problem is that we get sent across unlabelled test discs with very little explanation or detail as to what is included. Often we don't even get the accompanying Blu-rays. And in this case, the fact Sony are releasing multiple editions in the same territory could lead to some manner of confusion when it comes to test discs.

We'll double check at our end then reach out to the PR company for clarification if need be.

Thanks!

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Well, that was a quick update. We checked at our end.

In terms of the PR discs we have in hand:

1 x UHD is the Theatrical Cut
1 x Blu-ray is the Bootleg Cut

So, what's possibly likely happened is Sony have sent the PR the wrong test discs (presumably the other two discs from their 4-disc HMV version).

No easy way to rectify this, however I'll reach out to them for clarification and also ask for an extra copy when we get the competition prizes in, then we can revisit and tweak the review as necessary from the finished product (which is always better to review from!).

Apologies for any confusion, the review has also been updated to hopefully clarify the situation.

Last edited:

WhyDoIBother

Awesome, really looking forward to this - got my standard UK 4k copy yesterday in time for the kids being banished to their grandparent's tomorrow.

For the record it does state the bootleg is the 4k and theatrical is on the blu ray, if I had known they'd apocalypse now'd it and there was version with both on 4k would have got that but not seen the film in years and not even 100% sure we've seen the bootleg version so I'm ok with that for now...

Belzok

Thanks for the review, prompted me to pop on my bluray for tonight's viewing. If this is even close to the truth Cameron Crowe had an superb teenage life!

I think I have the DVD and probably won't get the 4K unless they have some sort of exchange scheme 😁

zantarous

Distinguished Member
I am by no means a picture expert but I think people are going to be disappointed if they go in thinking this is a 9, I had a quick flick though the bootleg cut on Monday and while it looked really nice it lacked the wow factor of some recent restorations that we have seen on 4K.

I am not saying it is terrible just not nearly perfect.

I do love this movie though and look forward to watching the longer cut, I did get the HMV version for both cuts. I remember the first time I saw this I spent months going deep in to 60s and 70s rock music and educating myself on a era that I didn't know that well.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I am by no means a picture expert but I think people are going to be disappointed if they go in thinking this is a 9, I had a quick flick though the bootleg cut on Monday and while it looked really nice it lacked the wow factor of some recent restorations that we have seen on 4K.

I am not saying it is terrible just not nearly perfect.

I do love this movie though and look forward to watching the longer cut, I did get the HMV version for both cuts. I remember the first time I saw this I spent months going deep in to 60s and 70s rock music and educating myself on a era that I didn't know that well.

The review gives the video its score of 9 for the video taking how it actually looks into consideration:

Natural looking
A very natural looking picture is given a boost thanks to Dolby Vision which enhances the filmic nature of the piece. Detail is sharp, there are no instances of softness, with staples like skin texture and clothing weaves coming off with aplomb. Album covers, guitar strings, jumping crowds, lighting rigs: all are well defined, check out the trees against the skyline when William is talking to Penny, how the light defuses through.

Colours are natural looking, while given a new intensity and boldness thanks to D.V., check out the depth colour to the stage lighting when the band plays, where primaries of red and blue are vivid. Flesh tones are natural, while the earthy hues of the cinematography shine through.

Black is deep and rich adding new depth, while the white scale enhances the highlights; check out the aforementioned sunlight in the trees, or flash photography from the crowds at the gigs, or the piercing spotlights, or best of all the lighting during the plane turbulance.

Digitally there are no compression issues and the original source is in beautiful shape with a wonderful grain structure that enhances its filmic nature.

KDA

Novice Member
To further complicate matters, my HMV Cine edition has just arrived. The back cover is exactly the same as Lateralusuk's picture in post no:11! Note it only refers to 2 discs, whereas HMV Online say there should be 4 in here. I'm taking it to the shop and we'll open it there and I'll report back.
This really is poorly detailed packaging.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
To further complicate matters, my HMV Cine edition has just arrived. The back cover is exactly the same as Lateralusuk's picture in post no:11! Note it only refers to 2 discs, whereas HMV Online say there should be 4 in here. I'm taking it to the shop and we'll open it there and I'll report back.
This really is poorly detailed packaging.
It's 4 discs, 2x UHD and 2x Blu-ray. I got mine on Monday.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Roam NC, affordable TWS earbuds
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba smart TVs add Amazon Music and Twitch apps
  • By Andy Bassett