Almost decided, push me over the edge.

Baudio

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, a few months ago you guys and ladies kindly helped me decide on some studio monitors for home recording in a relatively small room. I was advised to buy these:

Studiospares Seiwin Powered Monitors (Pair) at Studiospares

So, I've finally got enough money to buy them but I've just come across these:

Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers | Andertons

They're a little cheaper so I'm wondering which I should get. So which ones are better out of these two? I know price doesn't necessarily define quality when it comes to speakers. They're going to be used for recording all types of music at home. I noticed that those Presonus speakers have some REALLY good reviews so am hesitant to get the others in case these are better.

Thanks.

Do you really have a Home Recording Studio, or are you just creating mixes ... as in mix tapes, except no one uses tape any more?

The Studio Spares have larger 6" bass drivers, so that is certainly worth something. The Presonus have 4.5" bass driver and while probably OK. They make a Presonus E5 (5" bass driver) and a Personus E8 (8" bass driver) but they are considerably more expensive. I believe the Personus E5 are £109 EACH.

It is really something of a judgement call.

The Presonus are more of a computer speaker, with amps in one and the other being a passive speaker. The Presonus has more adjustment and tuning of the speaker to suit your taste.

And there in lies the Judgement call. Is having larger speaker more important than having speakers you can finely tune? Only you can answer that.

I suspect you won't go wrong either way.

Steve/bluewizard

I don't create mixes no. I basically have a recording interface, a few SM57s and other mics, amps and lots of MIDI instruments etc. I don't know if that would be classed as a home studio. I just want to hear as accurate a mix as possible. Then again I do use my PC for gaming, movies and so on. Although I'm making games at the moment which will also need music so that's another tick in the accurate mix box.

The room I record in isn't big but I do want a lot of bass. I'll be recording extreme types of music and everything in between. Maybe I'm asking too much for my budget. If Presonus is more of a computer speaker then that's off putting a little bit so maybe I'll just go for the larger bass drivers.

Thanks!

Do you really have a Home Recording Studio, or are you just creating mixes ... as in mix tapes, except no one uses tape any more?

The Studio Spares have larger 6" bass drivers, so that is certainly worth something. The Presonus have 4.5" bass driver and while probably OK. They make a Presonus E5 (5" bass driver) and a Personus E8 (8" bass driver) but they are considerably more expensive. I believe the Personus E5 are £109 EACH.

It is really something of a judgement call.

The Presonus are more of a computer speaker, with amps in one and the other being a passive speaker. The Presonus has more adjustment and tuning of the speaker to suit your taste.

And there in lies the Judgement call. Is having larger speaker more important than having speakers you can finely tune? Only you can answer that.

I suspect you won't go wrong either way.

Steve/bluewizard

Sorry that this is off topic but I was just offered 2 KRK RP5 G2 Rokit 5 for the same price as the Studio Spares.

Any advice on which is better? I know the Rokit are a bit more expensive but that's about all I do know.

...I suspect you won't go wrong either way.

Steve/bluewizard

The KRK Rokit 5 have very good bass. They are not the most precise, but they do make a very good blend of a mixing Speaker and a listening Speaker. I would suggest that KRK Rokit are among the most popular for Home Studios.

Myself I would probably go with the Mackie MR5. The bass is deep and accurate, but not as full as the KRK Rokit.

The Mackie MR5 are about £238/pair -

Mackie MR5 mk3 Active Studio Monitors (Pair) | Absolute Music

The Rokit 5 are about £249/pair (with extras) -

* SPECIAL OFFER * KRK Rokit RP5 G3W Active Studio Monitor Bundle (White) | Absolute Music

Given what you have said, if you can get the KRK for a bargain price, they are certainly worth checking into.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks, but how much does frequency response come into choosing? The Rokit cover a wider range but (again, I'm a beginner at this so I'm kind of assuming here) I'm guessing the build quality and other factors can affect that?

I'm leaning towards the RP5 G3Ws right now but only because of the wider range of frequency response. Plus the discount of course. Would that be a mistake? Is freq response not as important as other things?

Oh man, there's so much choice, it's overwhelming. I just found two Rokit G3 for £109 each.

Is there a difference between the G3 and the G3W? Or is it just the colour?

Anyway I ordered the Rokits in that link. Hopefully they'll be pretty good. They were a little outside my price range but they were a little smaller than the Studio Spares which was something I forgot to mention, my desk space is quite limited.

Thanks for your help!

Like I said, the KRK Rokit are one of the most popular speakers for Home Recording Studios. They do have good bass, which makes them good for both mixing and listening. But that noticeable bass makes them just a bit less desirable for mixing. Especially mixing of live performance recordings. However, as I said, this is one of the most popular for Home Recording Studios.

I don't think you will be sorry.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks for your help. I noticed that the bass and high end are adjustable on the speakers I got if that helps at all with clarity, I could turn it down for mixing maybe.

Anyway the speakers I'm using now to mix are near no brand £40 PC speakers that need windows balance settings constantly on 80% left because one speaker sounds louder than the other so this is quite a big upgrade.

Like I said, the KRK Rokit are one of the most popular speakers for Home Recording Studios. They do have good bass, which makes them good for both mixing and listening. But that noticeable bass makes them just a bit less desirable for mixing. Especially mixing of live performance recordings. However, as I said, this is one of the most popular for Home Recording Studios.

I don't think you will be sorry.

Steve/bluewizard

They arrived today and you were right, I'm not sorry. They're incredible. The clarity and power is insane! I played a bass test and they literally blew my hair back. Going from cheap PC speakers to these is amazing, I never thought there would be THIS much of a difference between them.

Thanks for your help again.

Happy that you are satisfied.

They cost a bit more than you originally intended to spend, but I think you will agree they are worth it.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom