• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Almost decided on a tv

N

nickthegreat

Right......

Have seen the Sammy 50 inch C96 for £820 in curries, but have also seen the Panny 42 inch PX70 with a Panasonic DVD Home Cinema with 1000W RMS surround sound system, SCPT450EB, (1080p up conversion) for the same amount of money. It also comes with the pedestal, which is nice. http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=883662

Im going to be viewing mainly SD images, but have a 360 (and would therefore be considering IPTV next year) and am getting a ps3. My room is quite large - Id be viewing the picture from around 10-12ft away (at a guess). Im just worried that the 50 inch will be too big and Ill see all the defects in the picture. However I do want surround sound, but probably not enough to actually buy it anytime soon; so its nice to get it for free. I just can't decide.

My real hate with these tvs is shadowing, and Ive heard the Panny is better than the C96. Im also a little worried about the green ghosting issues on the panny. Problem is Im very new to this so I could be completely misinformed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

mattyboy_72

I'd go with the PX70, great TV. Just a word of warning for you regarding the SCPT450. It has no optical input so it will only take a stereo feed from a Sky+/HD box, not 5.1(as I learnt to my frustration after buying one:mad:).

N

nickthegreat

yeah I heard that - but how does it connect to the tv then? I assume it has to accept a 5.1 signal somehow. Not really had much experience with surround sound

so if the surround sound system is not really worth it should i not go for the 50 inch sammy? (although the picture in curries was ****ing awful - though thats hardly a surprise)

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You won't get 5.1 surround from the TV anyway. The best you can get from terrestrial TV is Dolby ProLogic(ii). If it doesn't have an optical input you won't get 5.1 from the xbox or the ps3. It should have analogue inputs (RCA phono red/white leads) for the TV if it doesn't have optical. I wouldn't waste an optical input on a TV anyway. If I was you I would base the decision on the best TV for the money and not the extras. However, if you get the Panny, punt the all-in-one surround on ebay and buy a decent setup with the right amount of inputs. I'm afraid if you want surround sound from say sky, TV, xbox, ps3, PC etc etc. then you really need a dedicated av receiver and speakers. That's a completely other thread though. I can't advise on the TV though, as I'm looking at plasmas/LCD's myself.

N

nickthegreat

You won't get 5.1 surround from the TV anyway. The best you can get from terrestrial TV is Dolby ProLogic(ii). If it doesn't have an optical input you won't get 5.1 from the xbox or the ps3. It should have analogue inputs (RCA phono red/white leads) for the TV if it doesn't have optical. I wouldn't waste an optical input on a TV anyway. If I was you I would base the decision on the best TV for the money and not the extras. However, if you get the Panny, punt the all-in-one surround on ebay and buy a decent setup with the right amount of inputs. I'm afraid if you want surround sound from say sky, TV, xbox, ps3, PC etc etc. then you really need a dedicated av receiver and speakers. That's a completely other thread though. I can't advise on the TV though, as I'm looking at plasmas/LCD's myself.

Probably good advice.... although the dvd player is probably useful given that the 360 has a crap drive. Still brought back to the decision of the 50inch samsung and the 42inch panny - although like you said I could sell the surround sound on ebay (I can't find any auctions for the SCPT450EB though, so I don't know what Id get) so the 42inch might be considerably cheaper.

damnit I just don't know which to choose.

lochie

N

nickthegreat

cheers for that - went into curries in my lunch break and looked at the Samsung PS50Q97HDX, the PS42Q97HDX and the Panny X70 (42 inch). Obviously this is not the best test by any stretch of the imagination, but the PS42Q97 looked much better than the PS50 when displaying a dvd, and the X70 looked better than both.

Like you said, viewing distance is important, but with an SD image I just think the 50 inch will be a bit much. So Im drawn to the X70, but am very worried about the green ghosting issue.

Am going to have to drag my 360 around bond st/oxford circus - **** thats going to be fun........:rolleyes:

N

nickthegreat

ok now im confused - what the hell is the difference between the C/Q91 and the 97? (i know the difference between the 97/96)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom