Almost dead Digibox

Vitesse2L

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd appreciate some feedback on the problem I have with my Panasonic digibox. It's a model TU-DSB30, several years old.

After giving reliable service, it crashed one day and refused to reboot - Just showing the red 'power' led. Nothing on the remote or front panel working. No other led's showing. After lots of unplugging, checking cables, batteries, waiting till it cooled down etc, it still didn't work.

I tried booting with the card out and backup button pressed, but still got just the single red led.

After lots of playing, I booted it with the front panel 'power' and 'select' buttons pressed, and when I released them, it came back to life - searched for listings and worked fine again, no problems. But...After leaving it in standby overnight, it had crashed again.

I have found that getting the reboot works sometimes, but mostly not. Don't know if my combination of buttons is real or not, or if I have been lucky to 'catch' it somehow. Stupid thing is, the digibox works perfectly when it does come on.

Before I scrap it, I would like to know if it really is the box at fault - or the dish. Or if there is a cure!!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

My first thought would be a simple over heating problem, older box coupled with warm and stuffy conditions have tipped the balance between a well behaved digibox and a unreliable one.

Have you tried running the box or leaving it in standby with the outer casing removed totally to aid heat dissipation?
It may be a cheap fan kit could solve your problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping someone would have an instant fix, but it looks like the problem is electronic rather than software.

You are probably correct in there being a thermal problem of some sort. The thing won't power up from stone cold or piping hot though, and I can't find the proper place to hit the box to get it to wake up on demand.

Looks like I'll be getting another box.

BTW, my brother reckons he's got replacement digiboxes out of sky, even though he does not pay their protection money. He says you've just got to hang on long enough and work through their phone system. Threatening to cancel your subscription helps, too.

cheers, Steve

It'll be the micro, mate.

Very common with the DSB30. If you catch them early enough, you can fit the kit (available from Satcure) and it will cure it. Quite often, it's too late.

Sorry!

A. Dork

As a follow up:

I have been able to resurrect the digibox by moving it from it's place on top of the video and just under a shelf. It's running cooler and has not crashed for a while. Still won't boot when it's been unplugged though. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the help, everyone.

cheers, Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom